Keezer top question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monty420th

Reaction score
Keezer top Question

I am getting ready to pick up a 15 cubic foot chest freezer that will be the basis for my new keezer. I am going to be building a nice wood frame around it as I have seen in the "show us your kegerator" thread. My question is this,

I picked up a 9 handle beer tower that weighs probably 40-50 pounds by itself. I would think the top of the chest freezer will not support this kind of weight. should I get rid of the top altogether and build another top out of reinforced wood that seals with the freezer?

If I do this I would obviously need the top to overhang the frame around freezer portion just to make it looks nice and probably do a crown molding (of sorts) to hide the rubber seal.

basically, should I ditch the freezer top and build a new one out of wood, or should I keep it somehow and make it work?

thanks in advance, here is a pic of the tower

IMG_8615.jpg

The top will support it if you have a wood base that spans the width of the freezer. Just remember, it will be a PIA to open it and swap out kegs with that puppy.

I don't have anything like that tower, but I mounted 3 regular towers on my lid. Just reinforced it with a piece of 3/4" plywood, I used gorilla glue to attach it. Now the lid is solid as a rock, I bet it would hold 100lbs.

well I just picked up the freezer last night, and there is some prep work to be done on it...should work out fine however...here is the question of the day for anyone that can help of course

I am going to be building a cabinet off the side of the freezer about two feet wide which will basically serve to hide the CO2 tank.

I am going to ditch the top altogether

definitely going to need a collar for various reasons

I am going to be putting the tower in the middle of the entire build so it would actually be offset for the freezer portion and I would prefer the base of it never move

here is the tricky part, because the tower is so wide, is there a way to make the top pieces that do no contain the base of the tower to either slide to the side or forward? I don't think I am going to be able to have the top lift up because the tower is so wide and it would hit the tower and not allow proper access to the kegs and whatnot.

any ideas on how to proceed for my design? thanks

Ok i'm the guy who bought and recently sold my 12 tap brass beer tower. I had covered the freezer top with 3/4 inch harwood plywood. I never had a problem. It was a little heavy to lift but nothing horrible. A handle would have made it better. I tried it on the freezr before i added the wood and it was fine. Don't be worried! It's a nice pick up!!

Ok i'm the guy who bought and recently sold my 12 tap brass beer tower. I had covered the freezer top with 3/4 inch harwood plywood. I never had a problem. It was a little heavy to lift but nothing horrible. A handle would have made it better. I tried it on the freezr before i added the wood and it was fine. Don't be worried! It's a nice pick up!!

did you have it freezer up against a wall, if so, did you have problems opening it fully without hitting the wall behind?

I did. I had it in the garage so i just pulled it a foot and a half out from the wall. My suggestion would be to build it backwards. Have the hinges in the front. If your carefull with your panneling you won't be able to tell and it will fold forward thus negating the problem of the tower hitting the wall.

Back