My AG plan...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhermetz

Reaction score
So I've read through the AG brewing chapters in How to Brew by JP. I feel pretty confident I can start collecting my equipment. From my last thread you guys convinced me the best route is to find some used kegs and make 2 Keggles.

Here's what I sketched up during my break at work.
I plan on brewing outside using our picnic table for heating the sparge water (I think that's correct term)

AGsetup030-1.jpg

don't mind the pricing stuff I did on the side of the post-it note... I was trying to see how much it would cost if I just bought Brewpots ready made for AG brewing... Decided it was too expensive.

So How To Brew has alot of extra information I don't think I need to think about just yet.. IE: the Multiple Mash Rests.

As far as I know all I really need to do is a single infusion. Do this setup allow for it?

Here's how I picture the AG process going with this setup.

1. Measure the grains and dump in the Cooler/ MLT.
2. Heat up the sparge water to 110 degrees and pitch slowly into the MLT.
3. Stir in the grains and water together well. Let it sit at 110 degrees for 60min.
4. Take first run off into a pitcher until the Wort runs clear then pitch back into the MLT. Take the first run off into the Boiling Keggle.
5. heat up the sparge water to 170-175 degrees and pitch into MLT. Let it sit for 15min then take the final run off into the Keggle.
6. Begin boil.

...does that seem about right as far as the process goes? I left out the part about how much water to add because I don't fully understand that yet. Equations are not my strong suit. Hopefully Brewsmith can take care of that for me.

Anyway, As far as this setup goes here's what I can get as of today:

Coleman 70 Quart Cooler.
Maltmill 2 roller.
2 blichman Burners (trying to find cheaper ones in Canada but it's tough.)

What I need help finding are 2 Used Kegs in Canada.

I live right by a Beerstore Distribution centre. Back in College I would buy Commercial kegs from there. You think they would sell used empty kegs? I suppose I'll just have to call. I'm afraid they'd mark up the sale of them too high though. Any body else from Canada have a suggestion?

110 looks a little low to me, this is just from my reading on here. I would think you would want to mash at 148-158, but i have not done an AG yet so someone that is in the know should chime in on this one.

110 looks a little low to me, this is just from my reading on here. I would think you would want to mash at 148-158, but i have not done an AG yet so someone that is in the know should chime in on this one.

ahh..well I was going from memory.... and yeah i think your right about that.

I've always used a single burner and have used this single burner with a single MLT to do both single infusion and decoction mashing. I don't think that having two burners is a big deal to get it on with your first AG brew.

From my perspective, you need:
Burner
MLT
Large brewpot to boil the runnings (I have 7 1/2 gals for my 5-gal batches)
a couple smaller 3-5 gallon pots for heating water

Buy your grains already crushed from you LHBS. It's really no big deal, I think that you are over-complicating things.

I've always used a single burner and have used this single burner with a single MLT to do both single infusion and decoction mashing. I don't think that having two burners is a big deal to get it on with your first AG brew.

From my perspective, you need:
Burner
MLT
Large brewpot to boil the runnings (I have 7 1/2 gals for my 5-gal batches)
a couple smaller 3-5 gallon pots for heating water

Buy your grains already crushed from you LHBS. It's really no big deal, I think that you are over-complicating things.

humm good point. There really is no need for me to have 2 burners. Once the water is heated then I can just move the burner to my boiling pot.

One burner works well for me, also you want to mash between 148-158 for extracting sugars from the grains. I have a ghetto rigged corona mill that cost me $20 and works well for grinding at home (roller mills are much nicer though).

If you are resourceful getting equipment doesnt need to be too pricey.

Good luck!

okay so I understand the mash of 148-158. Would this be considered the "Dough-In" to get everything wet or is this after the dough-In? or am I getting confused? I vaguely remember reading alot of the steps Palmer outlined aren't really necessary for the Beginner Homebrewer.

So I've read through the AG brewing chapters in How to Brew by JP. I feel pretty confident I can start collecting my equipment. From my last thread you guys convinced me the best route is to find some used kegs and make 2 Keggles.

Here's what I sketched up during my break at work.
I plan on brewing outside using our picnic table for heating the sparge water (I think that's correct term)

AGsetup030-1.jpg

don't mind the pricing stuff I did on the side of the post-it note... I was trying to see how much it would cost if I just bought Brewpots ready made for AG brewing... Decided it was too expensive.

So How To Brew has alot of extra information I don't think I need to think about just yet.. IE: the Multiple Mash Rests.

As far as I know all I really need to do is a single infusion. Do this setup allow for it?

Here's how I picture the AG process going with this setup.

1. Measure the grains and dump in the Cooler/ MLT.
2. Heat up the sparge water to 110 degrees and pitch slowly into the MLT.
3. Stir in the grains and water together well. Let it sit at 110 degrees for 60min.
4. Take first run off into a pitcher until the Wort runs clear then pitch back into the MLT. Take the first run off into the Boiling Keggle.
5. heat up the sparge water to 170-175 degrees and pitch into MLT. Let it sit for 15min then take the final run off into the Keggle.
6. Begin boil.

...does that seem about right as far as the process goes? I left out the part about how much water to add because I don't fully understand that yet. Equations are not my strong suit. Hopefully Brewsmith can take care of that for me.

Anyway, As far as this setup goes here's what I can get as of today:

Coleman 70 Quart Cooler.
Maltmill 2 roller.
2 blichman Burners (trying to find cheaper ones in Canada but it's tough.)

What I need help finding are 2 Used Kegs in Canada.

I live right by a Beerstore Distribution centre. Back in College I would buy Commercial kegs from there. You think they would sell used empty kegs? I suppose I'll just have to call. I'm afraid they'd mark up the sale of them too high though. Any body else from Canada have a suggestion?
Yes, you can do a single infusion mash, I would suggest adding the strike water to the cooler first, instead of the grains first, you will want to preheat your cooler also, heat the strike water 10*f hotter than you intend to strike with, close the lid and wait until you reach your strike temp, this will preheat the cooler and you will not lose any heat during the 60 min mash. Take a look at BobbyM's All grain primer, its in his sig. Looks like you have the basics covered, good luck.

+1 on this. I read and reread this post while I was collecting and modifying my equipment. It made my first AG experience a successful one.

BTW, if I missed it in a post, I apologize, you may want two coolers, one to mash, the other to hold the heated sparge water. It frees up your kettle so you can start heating your first runnings right away.

BTW, if I missed it in a post, I apologize, you may want two coolers, one to mash, the other to hold the heated sparge water. It frees up your kettle so you can start heating your first runnings right away.
I don't know how many others are in my situation, but I have two pots. A 5 gallon pot that is leftover from my extract partial boil days, and a 7.5 gallon pot that I picked up later on to do full boils. I use the smaller one as my HLT and collect runnings in the 7.5 gallon pot.

Latest posts

Back