ahhh cant drink for a week, just got my wisdom teeth yanked out!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red96jeep

Reaction score
this sucks, my amber ale is set to be ready for the first tasteing tomorrow and i cant drink! what is a man to do? oh well at least i'm not in too much pain and i have a whole bottle full of percs haha. :cross:

When I had mine out, I was able to switch to ibuprofen after a day or so, and I'm nobody's tough guy. Not that you really want to mix ibuprofen and alcohol, but I could at least drive.

yeah i think i may do that, honestly i'm not in too much pain at all, i had my lower right growing in sideways so its pretty swollen where they had to cut it out, but oddly not very much pain. went all night without any pills. took one this morning just for the hell of it. and i gotta say, they arnt as great as ppl say they are. i dont get why ppl get addicted they dont seem that strong.

That's how I felt about the vicodin they gave me. I wasn't hurting too much, either. I'm thinking that those pills are much more appealing to people who are hurting more. I know I took low doses. Also, I noticed that the vicodin sort of relaxed me, which I suppose is part of it; I can see how it could suck you in. Anyway, just be sure to take care of the wounds the way the doc told you to (dry sockets are easily enough avoided), and you should be able to forget about even the ibuprofen within a week.

The only danger in mixing opiates and alcohol is that it makes the opiates work better and faster. Have a low dose of your opiates and have a drink it won't be too bad for ya. Of course this all depends on your tolerance to alcohol and opiates respectively. If you know your limits and capabilities go for it or discover them. You only live so long.

this sucks, my amber ale is set to be ready for the first tasteing tomorrow and i cant drink! what is a man to do? oh well at least i'm not in too much pain and i have a whole bottle full of percs haha. :cross:

Brew! Like 98% of the HBT members, I normally drink when I brew.

In this case you could do something fun that you wouldn't normally do. Make a big beer or step/decoction mash, maybe test out new equipment. Anything that warrants some sobriety.

Be a designated driver for the night which is cool. Take your buddies on a pub crawl.

The only danger in mixing opiates and alcohol is that it makes the opiates work better and faster. Have a low dose of your opiates and have a drink it won't be too bad for ya. Of course this all depends on your tolerance to alcohol and opiates respectively. If you know your limits and capabilities go for it or discover them. You only live so long.

Drinking alcohol and taking percoset can cause liver damage. How much is debatable, but my line of reasoning is that if you are "not doing too bad now, then why not stop the percoset and have a drink. Get back on when you feel the need, but only after the alcohol is gone from your system.

Or take something else that doesn't have tylenol in it.

Man up! I couldn't take the vicodin they gave me, so I stopped. Barely even touched the Ibuprofen either :D

haha sorry guys but i cant help but think that if an addiction counselor were to read this thread they would have a heart attack. but i'm not so much worried about drinking for the mixing with the drugs part, i can cut them out, but drinking with open wounds in my mouth may not end well espically once i get tanked and start munching on things.

The day after I got my wisdom teeth pulled (while I was in Navy bootcamp), we got up , had breakfast and then ran 2 1/2 miles. Having a beer would have been a very welcome treat;)

Back in the mid '70's all they gave was Tylenol 3 (w/ codiene)...

It didn't stop me from drinking one bit. But I've got to admit...I wasn't much fun at a party. Kinda had that deer in the headlights look going on.

They warned me not to suck on anything through a straw...the low pressure would cause bleeding. No problem...who drinks beer through a straw anyway?

Whatever you do, don't get a dry socket or an infection. One of my wisdom teeth that got yanked ran into some problems and I experienced nothing short of what I can imagine would happen in some chinese torture chamber.

For whatever reason they said they couldn't numb me and had to clean out the problem area, so they called in 3 nurses to hold me down to the chair by my arms and legs and the doc went in with some metal tool and just start digging around in the socket. Holy **** that was the worst experience of my life.

Whatever you do, don't get a dry socket or an infection. One of my wisdom teeth that got yanked ran into some problems and I experienced nothing short of what I can imagine would happen in some chinese torture chamber.

For whatever reason they said they couldn't numb me and had to clean out the problem area, so they called in 3 nurses to hold me down to the chair by my arms and legs and the doc went in with some metal tool and just start digging around in the socket. Holy **** that was the worst experience of my life.

Oh yah.... Try having 28 stitches taken out of the septum of your tongue. That's without any pain killers. The oral surgeon thought I was gonna twist off the arm on his chair. He's lucky I didn't deck him.

I should have expected trouble with mouth chocks and sight of scissors and forceps. No Novocaine on the tray.

+1 on the dry socket, mine didn't get infected though. I do not think you have much control of it happening or not though... They stuffed some medicated gauze in the socket and it was instant relief. I didn't know what it was though when it happened. If it feels like some one is smacking you upside the head with a bat every time your heart beats and no amount of codeine will make it go away... its a dry socket and call the doc asap cause it will only get worse.

I hope you're spared the experience though.

I'm glad I'm evolved enough not to need wisdom teeth. Had a GF get all four removed at once, looked like a chipmunk packing a watermelon. I did not laugh or make any comments.

Back