Should I build a manifold or get a false bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manifold or False Bottom?

• Manifold

• False Bottom

Results are only viewable after voting.
I have a manifold and it is great. Easy to make, with readily available parts. Never used a false bottom.

I said false bottom, just to be different. If I had any mechanical skill at all, I would have made a manifold. But, I bought a false bottom. It seems ok.

If you are thinking of copper for a manifold, a ready made false bottom may be cheaper, plus zero manufacturing time, plus possibly slightly higher efficiency, especially if you fly sparge.

-a.

You need to try them both. Do 2 brew sessions with each. Then figure out which seems to work better for you and let me know. That way, I'll know which one to use when I go AG. :)

I have both a false bottom in a 10gal Polar ware kettle and a manifold in a 10gal Ice Cube mash tun they both work great butttt, I think I prefer the manifold probably subcontiously because I made it? I don't know they both work about the same, I'm Soooo... confused? The false bottom was $74.00 and the manifold was almost nothing maybe 10 or 12 bucks.

I've got a Phils Phalse bottom and it has always worked well for me. I've been using it in my 10 gallon round cooler for about ten years.

I had the plumbing parts sitting around so it was a no brainer to go manifold. Plus I'm cheap. I will admit that cutting 50-60 slits with a hack saw (you can see pics in the link below) wasn't a lot of fun but it's worked well so far.

I used a s/s false bottom on my round coolers, and it always worked great. For my Ice Cubes, I use a straight Bazooka Tube which works great as well.

I havent used a manifold yet, but after hearing everyones success with them, it seems that whether using a false bottom, manifold, s/s braid, or Bazooka, they all seem to have received some good credit. It would be cool to see someone do a side by side comparison of all these methods to truly show which is more efficient. Personally, I think the results would be very close.

I do agree that making your own gear is the coolest though!

I said false bottom only because you say you can't decide between batch or fly sparging. a false bottom keeps those options open.

Back