Gravity question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeanMachine

Reaction score
Repeat question I'm sure...

Just brewed a nice porter a few days ago, it's been fermenting and bubbling for about 3 days now. Like an idiot I forgot to take a SG.

What should I do?

Take one now?

Will I be able to figure out or estimate alcohol content?

How will I know when it's done?

Thanks, Dean

What's the recipe? I'm assuming an extract recipe, or extract with steeping grains? We can figure out what the OG was for you. Or you can download the free trial version of BeerSmith yourself, and plug in the numbers. You might even decide to buy it after the trial period (like $20 or so). There are also free brew calculators online (just do a search with the Googles).

EDIT: these things can be calculated by hand as well. VOLUME is really important too (including the volume discarded in kettle trub, usually fairly minimal (<0.25 gal to 0.5 gal) but worth noting).

Oak Harbor, and yea being around all these sweet microbrews in the northwest is almost too much to bear. :)

I guess I'll have to phone the supply store and get a correct measurement of ingredients in their little kit and plug in the numbers.

Thanks for the info AKA common knowledge. Didn't know you could do that. This forum rules.

Back