Cool...little vacation and a nice beer trek

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just got back from Baltimore--where SWMBO and I spent 2 days. We had tix for an Orioles/Red Sox game, so we started the day by going to DuClaw Brewing in Fells Point for the Twisted Kilt release and some fine food. WOW. That place rocked. I started off with the Venom Pale Ale, which was a well balanced IPA along the lines of Stone IPA. Malty but well hopped. Great Beer. I bought a growler of it to take home--it was that good. I waited until 6 PM for the twisted Kilt, boy am I glad I tried it. I'm not a huge scottish ale fan but holy fright was this beer awesome. I detected a berry like flavor in it, and definitely peat smoked malt and dark crystal. It was a truly outstanding beer. It came in a wierd purple color infused glass, which I got to keep. For dinner SWMBO had the blackberry ribs, which were outstanding. I had the Honey porter glazed chicken. If it wouldn't have been burned, it prolly would have rocked.

Then we went to the baseball game and I drank MGD. :D

Today, we trekked up to Dogfish head in Gaithersburg. WOW!!!!!! From the second we walked in, a co-owner (and also the restaurant manager) picked out my Packers T-shirt and instantly took me over to the bartender who was from green bay so I could meet him. Anyway, we sat down and I got a beer sampler. It had 90 minute, 60 minute, Shelter Pale, Indian Brown, Immort Ale, and Punkin Ale. All tasted about the same as in bottles, but obviously fresher and more "fresh hopped". I didn't notice as much of a cloying sweetness as the bottled versions have as well. Teh Punkin Ale was a pleasant surprise. Not much aroma but definite pumpkin and pumpkin spice in that one. What struck me about that beer was it was obviously a beer first, then pumpkin. The way it should be, IMHO. I ended up getting another pint of 60 minute. I had a andouille, portobello pizza, which was out of this world. The crust was absolutely amazing. SWMBO had Fish and Chips, which were good but not mind-blowing like mine was. I ended up buying a few t-shirts ("60 minute man" ringer and the Punkin Ale shirts) and the manager gave me a pint glass for free. All in all it was one of the best dining experiences I've ever had.

Anyway...sorry this is so long....

:rockin:

Wow, I'm jealous. I still haven't made it to DFH. Did you go to Howl at the Moon when you were in Baltimore? I love that bar, it is a lot of fun. I've been to a few bars in Fells Point for a bachelor party, don't remember which ones. We walked from the Inner Harbor out there, man that sucked....

HurricaneFloyd said:
Wow, I'm jealous. I still haven't made it to DFH. Did you go to Howl at the Moon when you were in Baltimore? I love that bar, it is a lot of fun.

I love that bar also, I went to the one Louisville. That place rocks!

Latest posts

Back