Proper carbing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claphamsa

Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I am an awful carber!

I use the amount of sugar im supposed to (depends on beer, but usually about 2/3 cup) and I boil it for 5 min, then let cool. then add to bottling bucket. and then siphon in beer, yet my carbing is sooo uneven. do people stir theirs? isn't the circular siphoning motion supposed to be enough?

and who knew siphon had an I and not a Y, hooray spell check!

I would recommend slowly stirring with a sanitized spoon. I have never had carbonation issues when using this method.

How long are you waiting before openning your bottles?

I put half in the bottom of the bucket, then rack onto that, then at about halfway I pour in the rest of the solution. I make sure there is a good swirl going on in the bucket, making sure that the hose is curled around the bottom of the bucket.

I have had problems with inconsistent carbonation on my last batch. This batch I added the priming sugar the night before I bottled to really give it time to evenly distribute in the beer.

I am not sure if it will make a difference as they have only been in the bottle a week at this point.

clap...you should be all good without boiling it.

I swirl it with the bottling hose, and about halfway I pour in the priming sugar. After it's all in the bucket, I stir it slowly and gently for a few mins in the opposite direction it was swirling in. For the most part, it's been all good...only a few really "pop" when I open them...but even then it's because they are bumping around in the car or what have you

I have never had this problem. I usually simmer the priming sugar in some of the wort as the carboy starts to rack itself over into the bottling bucket... then i slowly add it in as it transfers. then i take my sanitized spoon and stir in both directions to get some liquid movement to make sure it homogenizes out.

my beers usually have that store bought *pop* when i open them after about 4 weeks or so sitting in the closet conditioning.

I usually just stir it with the autosiphon after I rack it into the bottling bucket and have added the priming sugar water.

Back