All grain flop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petree3

Reaction score
So my first all grain is in the keg and it is a failure. It has absolutely no body or beer flavor at all. It tastes like hops and water and a little bit of alcohol. I think missing the mash temp ten degrees too low made it hyper fermentable and now there is no body to the wit bier at all. Does anyone know how I might be able to add malto dextrin or something to that effect to save this beer or should I just dump it?

There's not a lot you can do post-fermentation, but let's get some recipe and process information (in as excruciating detail as you can give it) before we condemn your beer to death.

Wits are not known for their body. Mash temp could be killing you as could fermentation temp. The more info we have the better chance we have of helping you- now or for future batches.

Well it was a multi infusion mash and I hit the first step which was 122 alright, but I missed te second step which was 154 by ten degrees too low. I sparged correctly at 167. Then I ferment for two weeks at 65. I've got a pretty sweet fermentation set up do I don't think the problem occurred there.

Malto dextin is the universal fix for lack of body. Since it's a wit, I'd start with 4 oz boiled in a cup of water.

Back