Tannin extraction?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim27

Reaction score
On an earlier post I explained how I determined my boil off rate to be 1 gallon per half hour. My first all grain batch will have a 10 pound malt bill. So my question is if I am doing a Batch sparge and a 90 min boil at what point do I worry about tannin extraction. Should I do two sparges and just check the wort gravity until it hits 1.010 then stop on the second sparge? If I dont make it to my 8.5 gallon preboil volume do I just top off to get to my preboil?
With such a small grain bill(relatively) do I have to be concerned?

Thanks, Tim.:mug:

Tannin extraction is one of the big bogeymen of homebrewing. My understanding is that to extract significant tannins from grain husks you need at least two things: mash/sparge temps above 170F, and high pH. I acidify my sparge water slightly with 1ml 88% lactic acid per 4gal and sparge at 170 plus or minus a couple.

So I could just do enough sparging to get my preboil and RDWHAHB?:D. With my current set up I have to do 2 sparges to get to my preboil volume. It of course is no problem for me I just want to be as prepared as possible for my first All Grain batch.

Thanks for the response Dwarven.

So I could just do enough sparging to get my preboil and RDWHAHB?:D. With my current set up I have to do 2 sparges to get to my preboil volume. It of course is no problem for me I just want to be as prepared as possible for my first All Grain batch.

Thanks for the response Dwarven.

Yeah, I would expect you to be fine. I have pretty hard and alkaline water (the reason I acidify) and I'm fine when double sparging.

I have to use bottled water because my tap water is absolutely too hard for anything even drinking:cross:. It just tastes bad and leaves scale on everything.Should I use half spring half RO water? Or just straight RO water?

I have to use bottled water because my tap water is absolutely too hard for anything even drinking:cross:. It just tastes bad and leaves scale on everything.Should I use half spring half RO water? Or just straight RO water?

Straight spring water, .88 cents a gallon at the walmart where I live.

Awesome, wish I could find spring water at that price. Guess I will have to shop around.

Back