Substituting extract for a partial mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brainfrz

Reaction score
Searching for ways to get rid of “extract twang” and lower the color of the end product without having to purchase any new equipment I thought why not just do a partial mash on the extract then add the remainder at flameout? For example, I’ve got a simple cream ale I’m doing this weekend- I’ve got two 3.3# Briess Pilsen Light Liquid extract containers and some steeping grains. Would I get better results mashing the equivalent of once of those containers and the steeped grains, doing the boil on that wort then adding the last 3.3# of extract at flameout?

And as a final question, how many pounds of what grains would I use to substitute that 3.3# of extract? For future use how would I know what to substitute…say… Briess Golden Light Liquid extract?

For what it’s worth I have a 5 gallon brew kettle and other smaller pots I use to heat sparge water to clean my steeped grains.

sweet, another chicagoan!

going from extract to PM is pretty easy, as long as your talking light extracts. some of the darker ones sometimes have extra specialty grains in them (crystals, etc)

so, 1 lb of grain = 0.67 lb dry malt extract = 0.75 lb liquid malt extract.

personally, i use dry malt extract (DME) for everything...keeps things lighter in color, easier to dissolve, easier to weigh out.

if you're looking to go partial mashing, i would find out the most amount of grain you can fit in your pot, and convert your recipe to fit that. gets you a little closer to all-grain taste :mug:

its a lot easier to mix in Dry extract than liquid.

Do a search for late extract addition...you still need to sanitize the extract, so flameout is a bit too late to accomplish that.

for PM, try to mash as much as you can handle to maximize what goes into the boil kettle.
so say, shoot for 4gallons at the start of the boil, you could probably mash 5-6 pounds of grain, including all your specialty malts, and then probably add 1-4 lbs of light DME at 15 mins to the end of the boil to hit your target OG.

I've found that if approximately half your fermentables come from a mini-mash the end result is nothing like an extract beer. It ranks up there with an all grain.

I usually mash 3.5-4 lbs of grain. Mainly because that's all my 2 gallon cooler mini-mash tun will hold. I'll do a 3 gallon boil, chill with an immersion chiller, rack off the break material and combine it with the 3.3 lbs of extract in the fermenter.

The extract is canned which in theory should already be pasteurized which is why I just throw it directly in the fermenter. If it was bulk packaged then I would heat it first to be safe.

Back