Beerswap 2007 : Vermicous' Swill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vermicous

Reaction score
I sent out differing amounts of an RIS, porter, German wheat, and a Belgian golden. The RIS and porter are both bottle conditioned with too much residual sugar. Make sure they are well refrigerated before opening and then let them warm up to whatever temp you enjoy. The wheat and golden are counter-pressure filled, so any feedback about carbonation will be welcome. The beers are very imaginatively marked on the cap with a RIS, P, W, and a B.

The RIS is a bastardization of Brewpastor's Dark Night of the Soul. I had to convert the recipe to a partial mash and use Galena's for bittering. If you wish to wait a while before drinking this (3 months/maybe 3 years), I would recommend it. It's pretty good, but it is also a good example why you don't want to use too much Galena hops for bittering. The bitterness is very harsh, but will hopefully fade. It finished around 13% abv.

The porter is Denny Conn's Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter. The vanilla is not as strong as previous batches have been, but you should be able to pick it out. It's bottled with a small amount of Maker's Mark to make it right around 10% abv.

The German wheat is a Paulaner Hefe-Weizen clone from BYO. Nothing unusual for a wheat beer, finishes around 5% abv.

The Belgian golden ale is a Duvel clone from BYO. A fairly straight forward golden, finished somewhere around 9% abv.

Please be as critical as possible. While some of the problems I know (gushing dark beer at room temps), any off flavors or future recommendations that you can point out will be greatly appreciated.

Got the RIS and Porter today. Gonna let them settle for a few days(maybe longer on the RIS) before I try them. I can't wait to try the porter, my favorite beer style with one of my favorite Bourbons:mug:

Back