Using fruit wine instead of fruit in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zen_Brew

Reaction score
I have a question. I didn't find an answer to this on several searches on and off the board. I have been trying to conceive a recipe for a fruit lambic off of a Flanders Brown base, although this question could pertain to several styles.

I was thinking that in the case of souring bacteria, you could end up with the beer sitting on the fruit for extended periods of time. Even though I know this is done, it makes me nervous. The only fruit beer I've ever done in the past had a taste a bit like spoiled fruit after a month of so on some Oregon fruit raspberry.

I was thinking of ways around this such as 100% pure juice or even wine. I sort of liked the wine idea as the product should already have a nice tart bite to it and be acclimated to alcohol. So has anyone ever done a lambic, or other fruit flavored beer, and added anything like a bottle or two of blackberry wine to account for the fruit?

I dunno I have left my beer on fruit for a month, and on my last batch over 2 months and it was fine. In fact it won a gold medal.

But I think you have a good idea there. The only issue I can see is that maybe you won't get as strong of a fruit flavor that way unless you really go overboard with it.

Yeah that was one of the things I was struggling with was how much wine would be required to infuse a good fruit flavor. After adding a certain amount it wouldn't really be beer anymore.

Latest posts

Back