Mash Tun/False Bottom Noob Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLW

Reaction score
In the next day or two I am going to convert my 10 gallon Igloo cooler to a mash tun. I have looked at the conversion directions in this forum and have a question. At my local home brew store the guy uses a false bottom instead of the braided stainless steel supply hose. From what I can tell the false bottom provides more efficiency? Is there any other differences? Any other pro/cons? I know the false bottom if bought from him will cost about $40.

I was planning on going with the false bottom and picking it up in the next day or two for the convrsion.

I'm doing my first all grain recipe Saturday. Ordered the ingredients for a clone of Bear Repbulics Racer 5 IPA. I'm very excited.

Either will work just fine for batch sparging. The FB would be somewhat preferable if fly sparging as it will be less prone to channeling and the wort will move more uniformly down through the grain bed. The SS braid option will be less expensive.

Latest posts

Back