Can I Make a Starter With Dry Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greeneyed

Reaction score
I inadvertently only bought 1 package of yeast for a 10 gallon batch.
I was wondering if I could use a starter to get enough yeast for the batch this way?

yep you can make a starter with any yeast dry or liquid. just do your math and make a big enough one.

I almost never pitch dry yeast directly into a wort, even if I rehydrate it. I think making a starter not only ensures the viability of your yeast, but it increases pitching rates and decreases lag times. I don't see any negative consequences to making a starter if it is done properly. Heck, if you pitch the whole starter in, you get more beer too!

Starters aren't necessary or recommended with dry yeast, I would just buy another pack.

Both Fermentis and Danstar recommend using additional packs if you are brewing and high gravity beer or double batches.

No problem making a starter from dry yeast. You might consider making the starter from a small portion of the packet, then sealing the rest until you are ready to pitch.

Starters aren't necessary or recommended with dry yeast, I would just buy another pack.

Both Fermentis and Danstar recommend using additional packs if you are brewing and high gravity beer or double batches.
I know, but my LHBS is a little over 2 hours round trip. If it would be possible, I really don't want to make that trip for a $2 packet of yeast.

Back