Anyone made a great GF Lambic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinrphillips

Reaction score
Have a friend with Celiac and she loves Lambic's but gets sick when she drinks them. I found one recipe online using Sorghum that was pretty straight forward but thought I would ask if anyone has actually tried making one with good results?

The recipe I found was this:
5 1/2 gallons distilled water
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp gypsum
12 lbs gluten-free brewer’s sorghum syrup
2 oz US Goldings hops
1/2 oz crushed coriander seeds
Saccharomyces Belgian Saison gluten-free yeast blend
Brettanomyces Belgian Lambic gluten-free yeast blend
3 lbs sterile cherry puree
Dextrose (for carbonation priming during bottling)

I have found some small changes i want to make like using a more authentic noble Lambic hop like Halltertau or Tettnanger and will substitute peach for cherry.

Anyone else have suggestions or other options they have tried. was thinking about changing out the yeast to the Wyeast all in one Lambic blend as well, what has Saccharmoyces and Brettanomyces as well as other bacteria in it I believe.

Thoughts?

Doing a little thread necromancy on Halloween (well, it's actually November where I am, but Halloween in the states)

Anyone have any luck at this. My wife loves Kriek.

Being that it takes FOREVER (compared to my usual Ales and German Lagers) I'd like to get it at least drinkable on the first run.

I have a Kal Clone electric brewing setup, but am not against doing it with extract to take some variables out of the first run.

So I'm starting to actually do a recipe workup in BeerSmith for this.

As of now, for a 5 gallon finished batch
9.9 (3 cans) of BreisSweet White Sorghum Syrup
.75 oz Willamette (30 minute). They are 3 year old hops.
Wyeast 3278 Lambic Blend
Primary for about a month at 70-75

Rack onto 5 pounds of Rasberries
Let age for 9 months or so.

The OG/SRM/IBU are about right for the style but I have no idea what the Sorghum Syrup tastes like. I've never used it.

So I'm starting to actually do a recipe workup in BeerSmith for this.

As of now, for a 5 gallon finished batch
9.9 (3 cans) of BreisSweet White Sorghum Syrup
.75 oz Willamette (30 minute). They are 3 year old hops.
Wyeast 3278 Lambic Blend
Primary for about a month at 70-75

Rack onto 5 pounds of Rasberries
Let age for 9 months or so.

The OG/SRM/IBU are about right for the style but I have no idea what the Sorghum Syrup tastes like. I've never used it.
Does not taste good imo. But after a few months in the bottle, it evolved from "strange ciderish" to drinkable. As your fermentation takes months anyway, I'll bet it will be at least OK, if not good.

Maybe go 1/3 Millet? I have a 3 vessel electric HERMS system, but my false bottoms are set up for Barley based brewing.

After more research, I have changed to the following
Partial Mash

In the Mash:
5 pounds pale millet malt
2 pounds goldfinch millet malt
Amalayse Enzyme

In the Boil Kettle:
3.3 Pounds Breissweet Sorghum Syrup
30 minute 0.5 Oz Age Willamette

At flame out
1 pound light Belgian Candy Sugar

Works out to 6.8 IBU
4.4 SRM
1.056 OG

Mangrove Jacks Belgian Ale Yeast for Primary

Still working on the Souring Bugs.

Will be racked onto 10 pounds of Raspberries (Bug Food) and then pitch bugs.

I ended up going with 4 pounds goldfinch.

OG was 1.048. Don't get my usual efficiency.

Mash Schedule:
120F for 30 minutes
158 for 60 minutes
163 for 30 minutes.

4x Batch Sparge to collect 8.5 gallons pre boil.

Hops were cones from a friend's Hop Bine. Believed to be Fuggles. They were old. (2010 crop) that had been in vaccuum bags. Had what I thought was a proper aged character. Fresh Willamette aged in the oven was the backup plan.

Used Mangrove Jacks Belgian Ale yeast. (M-41)
Temp set to 68. Have had a couple dips to 62 because power went out and it's COLD here.

1.048 OG
1.040 24 hours in
1.020 48 hours in
1.014 72 hours in

Was supposed to receive bugs today, but Snowmaggeddon hit Virginia Beach. Using White Labs WLP-655 Belgian Sour Mix because I couldn't find GF Bugs. Will be throwing a thing of Clarity Ferm in there counteract the bit o Glutton in the culture.

Will be racking from my SS Conical to a glass carboy, which I have 5 pounds of Red Raspberries to feed the bugs. Will age in my closet. Depending on flavor, I will put more raspberries in maybe a month out from bottling.

Testing the fermentation samples, the base beer has a good Belgian character, but is kind of cloudy like a Hefewizen.

You ever think of using ther clarity ferm stuff white labs make. It has an esyme that eats the gluten

It eats the gluten to a point, but I use it for cleaning up incidental contamination vs making a gluten based beer and hoping it gets it all.

In other news, my batch is going to have to sit in primary for a while, because FedEx has had my Bugs (and other yeast) sitting on a truck, outside, in Chesapeake, VA, for THREE DAYS now.

So they are frozen solid. And likely dead. They were supposed to be here Thursday. And I leave for work tomorrow.

So after two weeks, I finally had the stars align with live bugs, and I'm home.

Kudos to MoreBeer, when FedEx "lost" my bugs and killed them, they shipped me a fresh batch the day I called to ask if they could track them down.

Racked 5 gallons onto 5 pounds of Red Raspberries and pitched the bugs.

Had two gallons I bottled as just the base beer. May either drink it or retain for blending back a bit if it comes out super sour.

Back