Bonehead Move, Unsanitized Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamo99

Reaction score
So, I've transferred my wort to a clean (oxyclean) carboy and am about to pitch my yeast, when I realize that I did not sanitize the carboy. I dumped the carboy back into pot and am reheating now. gonna have to resanitize the wort chiller once i get it back to temp, then recool.

if i just bring the wort to pasteurization temps with the immersion chiller in it for about 15 minutes, should i be ok? i don't want to boil off all the flavor and aroma hops that have already been added, but i want to minimize risk of infection. i have a nice sized starter.

what's the minimum temp and time that someone suggests i bring this to?

Love, Bonehead.

DOH!

hate when stuff like that happens! and it does...

Okay, you cleaned it with oxyclean. Was it then rinsed thoroughly? I might be more afraid of oxyclean residue. How long between cleaning, rinsing and filling?

Since you are already heating, yeah bring it up to about 160 or so, with the chiller in there. Cool it, retransfer. AERATE! pitch! Probably is overkill if you have a healty yeast pitch and aerate accordingly, but hey.

RDWHAHB!

cleaned a couple of days ago, rinsed thoroughly, then inverted to drip dry before the top was covered with saran wrap.

brewed, cooled, transferred to carboy THEN I realized my mistake. so i dumped back into brewpot and am bringing it to 180 now with chiller in there for 10 minutes. rinsed out the carboyt with straight water, then sanitized. think my aroma hops will be messed with too much at pasteurization temps compared to a boil?

I've relaxed and am not worrying about the beer, but I better hold off on another homebrew for the next twenty minutes of so!!

The only worrying part is that I'm using the last of a white labs strain and was going to wash the yeast so I had some of this yeast in inventory. think i should still bother washing the yeast? i probably will, but hate to think about screwing up a batch down the road because sanitation wasn't optimal for this brew.

I once racked to a clean secondary before I released that I forgot to sanitize it....I slapped myself beside the head, then went ahead a stuck an airlock on it and left it alone for two weeks.....

The beer was fine!!! It was already alcohol at that point.

The good thing about carboy is that since it has a smaller openning there's less chance of getting anything in it...Of course from now on I store my clean empty carboys with either iodophor in it (meaning that even if the sanitizer is clear and old, at least it WAS sanitized when I put it away), or at least with an airlock and bung on it.

Beer is hardier than a lot of us give it credit.:D

I know beer is hardy, but I realized my mistake right before I pitched my yeast, so this pasteurizations is mainly because when I wash the yeast, I want it to be as healthy as possible. Racking to a clean but unsanitized carboy I'd feel a little better about since I have my alcohol already and it's an environment that nasties find nasty.

This brew day was just going too smooth, something was bound to happen!!

Personally, I'd have just left the wort in the carboy and pitched. I'm willing to bet that your carboy was pretty damn close to "sanitized" by the oxiclean, and the yeast would quickly crowd out any stray bacteria that may have been in your rinse water. No, it's not optimal sanitation, but odds are good it would have turned out fine. Hey, lots of people routinely rinse their stuff out with tap water AFTER sanitizing (???) and have no problems...not my MO, but a good testament as to the hardiness of beer.

I bet your yeast is fine too, go ahead and wash it after fermentation. But if it makes you uncomfortable, $6.00 or so for a new tube is pretty cheap insurance.

If there was ever a RDWHAHB moment, this is it! All will be well. :mug:

We are officially having that homebrew after not worrying!

If this wasn't the last vial of this yeast at my LHBS, I probably would've just pitched. But since it was the last, it was a platinum strain, not sure if they'l lget it again, AND it's going to be my first time washing yeast, I was a little paranoid about giving the yeast the best environment. Of course my paranoia diminished during the brew session as one beer turned into two turned into three turned into... Anyway, it's chilled, yeast is pitched, aroma seems to still be completely intact, and all my equipment is cleaned up. Now it's time to drink with earnest. Hey!!! Earnest!!! :mug:

Edit: Drinking with earnest, not in earnest. Drinking insomeone named earnest is not that appetizing. Know what I mean Vern?

Back