My First Recipe Attempt (Be Gentle)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alcibiades

Reaction score
Recipe Type: Extract, India Pale Ale
Yeast: US-05 Ale Yeast
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.064 (est)
Final Gravity: 1.016 (est)
IBU: 59
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 days, 72 F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 days, 72 F

Recipe for 5 gallons
Wort size: 2.5 gallons

6.0 lbs Extra Light DME
1.0 lbs Light DME
1 lb Victory
.5 lb Crystal Dark
Steeping grains @160 for 30 min.

1 oz Yakima Magnum (14.4%) for 60 min
1 oz Amarillo (8.0%) for 30 min
1 oz Cascade (7.5%) for 30 min
1 oz Cascade (5.9%) for 15 min
Dry Hop with 1 oz Cascade (7.5%) in secondary
Irish Moss for 15 min

---------------------------------------------------------

I'm basically going for a standard IPA, with a darker color. I kind of just chose the hop schedule randomly, based on what I had in my stash; no rhyme or reason. Any comments, criticisms, disdainful remarks, witticisms, lamentations, etc?

- I'd cut your victory to 0.5 -- a full pound may make your IPA a little too "bready"

- just for simplicity I'd use 7 lbs of light LME

- I'd change your cascade additions to 15 & 5 (keep the dry obviously)

- If you want better hop utilization, add 1/2 your LME with 15 minutes left in the boil

should make a tasty beer! :mug:

What Lovibond Crystal are you planning to use? A very small amount of 120 is sometimes nice in an IPA.

Recipe Type: Extract, India Pale Ale
Yeast: US-05 Ale Yeast
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.064 (est)
Final Gravity: 1.016 (est)
IBU: 59
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 days, 72 F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 days, 72 F

Recipe for 5 gallons
Wort size: 2.5 gallons

6.0 lbs Extra Light DME
1.0 lbs Light DME
1 lb Victory
.5 lb Crystal Dark
Steeping grains @160 for 30 min.

1 oz Yakima Magnum (14.4%) for 60 min
1 oz Amarillo (8.0%) for 30 min
1 oz Cascade (7.5%) for 30 min
1 oz Cascade (5.9%) for 15 min
Dry Hop with 1 oz Cascade (7.5%) in secondary
Irish Moss for 15 min

---------------------------------------------------------

I'm basically going for a standard IPA, with a darker color. I kind of just chose the hop schedule randomly, based on what I had in my stash; no rhyme or reason. Any comments, criticisms, disdainful remarks, witticisms, lamentations, etc?

I would agree to move the cascade hop additions later in the boil. I like adding mine 10 and 5 and 1 minutes. Gives a huge hop flavor and aroma. Then with a big dry hop after primary, you get even more aroma.

I would dry hop with an ounce each of Cascade and Amarillo.

Oh, and Magnum is an awesome bittering hop. Super clean. You'll be happy there.

If I were you, using the same hops you have, I'd move some (or get another ounce of) that cascade up into the last 5 minutes and/or flameout and I'd mix up the amarillo some with these late additions. Amarillo and Cascade compliment eachother well. Mostly though, I think you'll get a better hop flavor/aroma with more hops later in the boil......I actually like to perform continuous hopping for the last 20 minutes if I can help it. It gives you a nice full hoppage for a tasty IPA.....just something to consider. Your recipe will be good as is

Wow. That's going to be an extremely bitter beer. But if that's what you were going for, well done! :)

I concur that adding your flavor/aroma hops late is a Good Idea. In fact, I'd add all the Cascades as dry-hops.

Bob

You may want to keep this gravity/ ibu chart in mind when building up a recipe.

Looking at the chart - your hop schedule puts you to the far right of the chart, even outside the 'extra hoppy' range. Backing down some of the late hop additions to just 10 or 15 minutes will bring you back into better balance, and improve flavor & aroma.

Good luck with it.

hopsgraph.jpg

I would be tempted to dry hop even a little more. I haven't made any IPAs, but in my APAs I try to dry a full ounce for 7 days. I think you'd want more aroma in an IPA.

Your original recipe is fine though. It'll be beer, it'll be a good IPA, and it'll still be so much better than anything you can buy at a store.

XXguy, thanks for the chart!

I just bottled a double IPA kit so I didn't want this recipe to be a hop bomb, just hoppy enough to be full flavor. I'll definitely move more of my hop additions towards the end of the boil.

Side note: Does anybody here but wood chips in their IPA? How does that turn out?

No problem - that chart helped me a bunch when I was figuring things out. Just realize it's a guideline, not the whole story. Other things will affect your flavor profile & perceived bitterness besides OG & IBU's.... but it's a good basic check to see where you're sitting with the recipe you're tweaking.

If you're looking for ideas on Oaking - search in the recipe database. Plenty of people have done some oaked IPA's - you will get all kinds of info there. Different techniques, plus different types of wood & toasting.

Back