Any suggestions... Hop Problem...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILurvTheWhiskey

Reaction score
I'm just about done mashing my wort and putting all my stuff together for the boil and I just realized I'm missing a very important item: I paid for two ounces of Cluster hops but in my bag I've only got one ounce of pellets. Which means I left half of them at the home brew store.

So, with only one ounce of hops, is there any way that I can use these to a bigger effect? Instead of adding them at different times during the boil (60 minutes, 30, 15), what would happen if I just added the whole ounce during the boil? Would it do any good to boil them for longer (90 minutes instead of 60)?

My recipe is basically:

3.3 pounds of pilsener extract
3.3 pounds of golden extract
2 pounds crushed pilsener 2 row
2 ounces of cluster

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

Yes, you will extract more bittering units if you add the hops for an extended period. I don't know the style your brewing or the IBU's you want but you can get the bitterness required by a longer boil time.
mark
Beer Diary...

Thanks. I'm shooting for about 30IBUS, this is going to be a medium strength American Pilsener.

Will boiling them for longer add any negative effects to the beer?

Its probably too late but you can get better effect if you add very little extract until the very end. This will utilize the hops to their best.

THEN, you can dry hop with that other ounce to get good hop aroma to the beer once you pick it up from the LHBS.

No negative effect, but you need to calculate what your IBU's will be based on the AA of the oz. of Cluster in whatever your wort gravity is by the time in the boil. 60 min. for a typical gravity wort is approx. 27% utilization.
mark
Beer Diary...

Here's what I did.

I took and mashed my 2 pounds of grain then took that wort and added it to about 1/6 of the extract. I took this mix, add all of the water that I needed too, and boiled my hops for about 75 minutes. I then took and added the rest of my extract and boiled for another 15. So basically, I've got a 90 minute Pilsener. If Dogfish can do it, so can I!

I tasted it before pitching the yeast, will say, it worked. It's got a nice flavor.

If you find hops flavor and aroma lacking after the primary ferment is finished, it's acceptable to dry-hop this beer. In the 1950s, Schaefer finished with Styrian Goldings. I'm sure 1/4 oz in five gallons dry-hopped wouldn't be too far off!

Bob

Back