Newby to Lager Yeast. Questions and more

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salad 419

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm about to try my first lager but have a few questions/concerns.

I'm using Wyeast Lab 2633 Octoberfest Yeast in the Activator pack. I broke the inner pack and per directions let it sit at 72 degrees. The pack did not swell like my ale yeasts do. I pitched it into a starter after 12 hours. Unfortunately, I forgot that I lent my spare airlock to a friend, so I had to hillbilly a balloon on top of the 46 fluid ounce plastic bottle that I use for a starter instead of the usual stopper and airlock. After 10 hours at 72 degrees in the starter, I still haven't noticed any activity. I then moved it to the refrigerator at 45 degrees two hours ago and still haven't noticed anything.

Most of my ale yeast activity has been very noticeable, if not violent. I see no bubbles at the surface or any floaties or anything on this starter that would indicate fermentation (or yeast reproduction).

Am I misinterpreting the signs? What should I look for?

Any comments, suggestions, bad mouthing is welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

I have had more than a few duds from Wyeast. That said, there have been many more successes.
Simply put, there must be CO2 production to indicate yeast activity. If there is no CO2 production, there is little live yeast in the pack. That's the whole reason for the smack pack.
Lager yeast is not that much different than ale when it comes to observing yeast life or activity.
You do need to pitch more lager yeast in a perfect sense, tho it will ferment without that, it just takes longer to get started.
I propagate lager yeast at ale temps. I start my wort at ale temps, too, and drop to lager temps when fermentation is apparent.
I also keep some dry yeast packs in the fridge in case this happens. The beer might not wind up quite as style specific, but it will be good, and I'm not trying to win a contest, just drink good beer.
Good luck with it! :mug:

If I ever got a dead smack-pack, I would have left it unopened and returned it to the LHBS for a replacement.. That said, I always smack mine 24hrs in advance, although I've noticed that the ones that are only a month old are completely done in ~2 hours!

I suspect your pack was mishandled somewhere on it's way to you - what's the date on it, by the way?

+1 on keeping some dry yeast handy. I will have to get some, that stuff is cheap and there are many good beers brewed with it.

I've only made one lager, but that one took WAY WAY longer to start bubbling than any of my ales and it turned out wonderfully. Give it some time, lagers are slow.

Latest posts

Back