Bucket and Hopping Question??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acesb422

Reaction score
I am going to brew a cream ale this after noon. I am going to be using a primary that i have done one batch in already. There is a little bit of smell left over from the previous batch is that going to effect the taste or should i put a little bleach water, or is my star san when i sanitize going to take care of it.

Also, this kit has 2 different types of hops. One is suppose to be added with 5 min left in the boil. I thought that i have read somewhere that you get a different taste if you add them to the boil or if you wait to add them right away after the boil???

First: follow the directions or you won't get the beer as planned. Most beers will have 2-4 adds at different times. Early ones for bittering, late ones for aroma.

Second: just clean and sanitize the bucket. The slight smell won't matter.

Your bucket will always smell like beer but don't worry about it. The smell won't effect subsequent batches.
A general rule of thumb is to add your bittering hops at 60 minutes. These hops will not impart any flavor or aroma only bitterness. A 30 minute addition can impart hop flavor into your beer. These hops will also add some bitterness but no aroma. Hop additions at the end of the boil will give you hop aroma only. The problem that you run into with late additions is fermentation and the CO2 produced scrubs the hop aroma out of the beer so they aren't all that effective in giving you good aroma. Dry hopping is done after fermentation is complete or almost complete and gives the best hop aroma. Most people place the hops into a secondary and rack the beer directly onto them. Some add them to the primary after fermentation subsides. If you like IPAs and hoppy beers you will want to try this some time.

Latest posts

Back