Kegging a stout and priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mappler

Reaction score
I have kegged several beers and force carbed all of them. I now have a few batches of beer ready to keg and I do not have room in the kegerator for them right now, so I was thinking of sugar priming them. One of the beers I have is a milk stout. I will be running this off of nitrogen through a stout faucet when served, and would like a more style specific carbonation level. How do I figure out how much priming sugar to use? The only advice I seem to be able to find relates to ales.

Thank you,
-Matt

I have kegged several beers and force carbed all of them. I now have a few batches of beer ready to keg and I do not have room in the kegerator for them right now, so I was thinking of sugar priming them. One of the beers I have is a milk stout. I will be running this off of nitrogen through a stout faucet when served, and would like a more style specific carbonation level. How do I figure out how much priming sugar to use? The only advice I seem to be able to find relates to ales.

Thank you,
-Matt
I say throw about a 1/2 cup of brown sugar (per 5 gallons) in as a primer, after boiling the water and then dissolving it ofcourse.. that will not carb up the stout all the way, but will start the aging process ( which is good for stouts ) then when you have the room to hook up to nitro, then set your pressure then.. and carb to desired level.. just my 2 cents...

A stout is an ale. Though they typically have a little less CO2 volume/carb level than some other styles. Typically they recommend using about 1/2 the priming sugar you would use when bottling. This is because there is less head space in the keg that in all those bottles added together. You can do that and let it sit at room temp until it gets the carb level you want, then chill the keg to put the yeast to sleep.

So just use a priming calculator for bottles and then divide by 2?

Latest posts

Back