Why I hate SWMBO

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slim, I see where you are coming from, but you need to let it go. It's his problem (if it's even a problem for him) not yours. He didnt' marry you, he married this other girl so let them live their life. It's not nice to criticize anothers significant other, even if you mean well. Best you can do is offer a little "I hear ya man!" when the complain about something.

Maybe offer to have him over to brew with you. If the atmosphere at their place is a bit chilly, then try to do stuff outside that environment.

My simple point is that you might be better served by worrying about your own relationships, and let them live their own personal lives.

No, because if she must be obeyed then you won't be doing anything in opposition to her wishes. :)

What EvilTOJ said. SWMBO isn't meant literally, though I wouldn't want my spouse to "mind her own business." Our marriage has lasted over thirty years, happily so, and we have always taken an active interest in each other; otherwise it seems to me you have more a roommate than a relationship. Now, by active interest, I will point out she doesn't enjoy beer or brewing -- but she's willing to listen to me talk about it and to put up with a kitchen disaster from time to time.

Rick
I agree with what you're saying. I'm married almost 30 years also and she has put up with my brewing and drinking over the years. I don't get the SWMBO phrase becuase I like to refer to it as SWMBPO She whom must be pissed off, because I tend to piss her off a lot. But then she can do the same to me, oh well forgive and forget that's how you stay together all those years.

i never looked at SWMBO in that light... My wife supports all of my hobbies and altho not a beer drinker I know she admires what I do...

There are times when my wife must be obeyed, after all she is pregnant so I try to keep her happy :D but all in all we each have our own "thing" so meh, whatever floats your boat.

i never looked at SWMBO in that light... My wife supports all of my hobbies and altho not a beer drinker I know she admires what I do...

There are times when my wife must be obeyed, after all she is pregnant so I try to keep her happy :D but all in all we each have our own "thing" so meh, whatever floats your boat.

Hey, who got her pregnant, you prick :ban:

My SWMBO is the same. As long as we get the work out, we're real good.

:)

My SWMBO wants balance. Too much brewing and its ot-oh.... She OK with it as long as the priority stuff is taken care of week to week.

Rain comes, no mowing occurs on Tuesday, work late on Wednesday. HB club meeting on Thursday. Date night on Friday... guess I gotta mow on Saturday, might brew on Sunday...

If I blow off responsibilities my spouse will be pissed off.
To me SWMBO - SICB. Someone Who Must Be Obeyed - So I Can Brew.

Tongue in cheek. SWMBO gets aggravated at me for other crap too like I do for her BS.

I try not to make waves since I'd rather not argue. Sometimes it not really worth the hassle. She supports 90% of what I w/o issue. However pushing buttons can be fun if it doesn't get too serious.

Again SWMBO is tongue in cheek. Just like when I call her $hithead! :D

My big thing is beer, hers is tennis

We spend the same amount of time doing both. Sometimes we share, sometimes we don't. I think what made me realize that my SWMBO rocks is she said "If you didn't drink great beer, we'd been effed after the first month" My response was the same thing about football, and the list goes on and on and on.

Point is from my relationship is "baby gets what baby wants" If I want something, and I seldom am that against what she is already thinking, I get to say "nah" and we work something out.

Like most of us have said, if her 'role' of the evening is SWMBO: GIGGITY!

I also see your buddy's SWMBO point of view...and to that, eff it, who cares, you aren't screwing around the garage with your buddy's SWMBO, your with your buddy....

And to the wonderful women who responded in this thread, I do believe that you gals represent a good amount of us mens SWMBO's. Even the SWMBO's who don't like beer still seem like awesome gals (I mean, christ, they put up with us HBT'ers :D )

I also see your buddy's SWMBO point of view...and to that, eff it, who cares, you aren't screwing around the garage with your buddy's SWMBO, your with your buddy....

right on.

I usually tend to blown someone off esp when they start telling me that beer, brewing beer and loving beer is a waste of time.... seriously I could think of millions of ways to waste time, brewing isn't one of them, watching the "Sex in the City" movie is a huge waste of time...

just my opinion.

Dr Kornkob has nothing to add to the conversation as EvilT has already covered my points.

EvilT: Grasshopper, you are now ready to walk the earth. Go forth and share the wisdom.

: )

right on.

I usually tend to blown someone off esp when they start telling me that beer, brewing beer and loving beer is a waste of time.... seriously I could think of millions of ways to waste time, brewing isn't one of them, watching the "Sex in the City" movie is a huge waste of time...

just my opinion.

I've been told by somebody elses SWMBO; "You only brew so you have an excuse to drink." I said, "Damned Right!!!"

Why on earth would I brew if I didn't intend to drink it?? :D

We've been married for 35 years... feels like 40 with the wind chill..;) and she has tolerated all my "hobbies" and obsessions with generally good humor and grace... be it brewing, bicycles, radio-controlled vehicles, computers, NY Giants, Red Sox, etc...

She's not a big beer fan, but I keep a keg of Apfelwein for her. I may not always obey, but I do try to keep her happy

Just my $0.02

My wife likes beer though her palette is a bit less varied than mine. I'm a balanced to slightly hoppy guy and she's a balances to disgustingly malty kinda gal, so to keep her in supply she needs to encourage me to brew varied, brew often. :)

The "must be obeyed" is more realistically from her monopoly on the household sex supply.

I agree with a previous post: SWMBO is a term I find kinda stupid; however, it seems to appear on this forum repeatedly, and by many folks who were here long before me, so, while I don't use it, I don't get hung up by it either.

Maybe I'm just a bit of a pervert, I dunno, but I quite like the challenge of having a missus that offers a certain amount of resistance to my hobby. When it comes to buying equipment the price is an obstacle, but not one that talks back. The missus, however, at least injects an element of sport into the issue. Buying a new peice of equipment is like reeling in a really big fish. Tug a little, let her run, tug again, wear her down and reel in the new kettle. :)

It's especially helpful that my missus regularly takes up a new "hobby of the year". Currently, it is sewing. "I need a new sewing table" Yes dear, you can have that....2 weeks later, "Hello new gas burner, my you're looking sexy today" ;) At the moment, I'm trying to accumulate the gear I need to go AG. I am confidently seeking out the best prices, while at the same time I still haven't yet manipulated the missus past the "There is no way you are going to burn down the garage" stage. Tug a little, let her swim, tug a little......:)

I swear, if I had a missus that offered no resistance at all, then brewing would be half the fun.

Edit: Of course, having said all that. I know that she is doing the same with me too!! :)

My wife supports me in brewing, or at least doesn't make a fuss about it, just as I don't fuss about her hobbies. As long as I spend enough time with her she doesn't begrudge me the alone time I need. Money is not an issue since we set up a budget when we got married, I can spend my fun money however I like, just have to save up for equipment.

I don't use the term SWMBO, but I do think it is amusing and people need to be wayyy less uptight.

Maybe I'm just a bit of a pervert, I dunno, but I quite like the challenge of having a missus that offers a certain amount of resistance to my hobby. When it comes to buying equipment the price is an obstacle, but not one that talks back. The missus, however, at least injects an element of sport into the issue. Buying a new peice of equipment is like reeling in a really big fish. Tug a little, let her run, tug again, wear her down and reel in the new kettle. :)

It's especially helpful that my missus regularly takes up a new "hobby of the year". Currently, it is sewing. "I need a new sewing table" Yes dear, you can have that....2 weeks later, "Hello new gas burner, my you're looking sexy today" ;) At the moment, I'm trying to accumulate the gear I need to go AG. I am confidently seeking out the best prices, while at the same time I still haven't yet manipulated the missus past the "There is no way you are going to burn down the garage" stage. Tug a little, let her swim, tug a little......:)

I swear, if I had a missus that offered no resistance at all, then brewing would be half the fun.

Edit: Of course, having said all that. I know that she is doing the same with me too!! :)

Heh. Both me and SW... the wif.... missu... Both of us laughed at that one. I think we fall more into the trading of hobby expenses, though. She doesn't hassle me at all about brewing. In fact, she often picks up my ingredients for me when she goes shopping in the city. Nobody needs to 'obey' in my house (except the kids), but cooperation and mutual financial decision making is essential.

this has no basis in anything other than conforming to stereotypes. beer is a flavorful beverage and it's no more "a guy thing" than any other aspect of the culinary arts.

I did a quick survey here at work so we would have some basis for the comment, "in general terms men like beer more than women"
Here are the results.

It's true.

Game over.

My better half goes to the brew store with me.. and God help me if I crack one open and don't bring her one... The cost of some things need to be worked out but most times I get what I want.

Me, I never cared for the whole "SWMBO" moniker. I prefer the term "Crazy *****" for my wife.

...I keed, I keed.

Hey, here's a photo of my, uh, "SWMBO" a few years ago in the Augustiner Bier Garten in Munich, on our honeymoon. She seems to enjoy a good brew.

The only beer-related crap I ever get from her is when we run out of Two-Hearted Ale. The woman HATES running out of Two-Hearted Ale.

mrsstunned.jpg

Back