Starter Mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LILJONNYWV

Reaction score
I have been brewing some extract beer kits for about a year now. I started reading about mead and want to try to make some. My friend gave me his old Mr. Beer kit and it just sets in the attic so I thought I would try one in that. Do any of you have a easy, cheap, and small batch recipe that is good you think would be good for me to try?

Joe's ancient orange (or Malkore's variation) might be good if you like sweet orange flavor.

Otherwise, Joe's grape pyment can be good.

If you have a good fresh honey, a nice traditional would be a great option.

Medsen

I would suggest one of 2 things, buy a 1 gallon carboy. about 6 bucks at a local home brew store, or buy a 4 liter thing of carlo rossi and use the empty jug to ferment in. you might get some off flavors from letting it sit in the mr beer for a several month aging. other than that go with one of joes quick recipes

I would advise not using bread yeast per Joe's recipe, just because its not 'ideal'. Joe was just trying to keep it simple, but workable. Not everyone can get brewer's yeast or malt locally (to make beer), but everyone can find honey and bread yeast at the grocery store...and thus can make mead.

Another suggestion, having tried jaom and maom that I helped a friend make, I would suggest going with malkores recipe. It has a better orange flavor, with a less bitterness. this is no doubt due to using a brewers yeast and leaving out the pith of the orange. It is a little bit more work to put it together, but really not much more. just zesting the orange and then juicing it, if i remember the process correctly. No offense to joe, he is just trying to break down the process so anyone can do it, and he does a good job.

Back