Deprecated's Garage Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which option do you prefer for Deprecated's Garage Brewery?

• Freezer in well house for kegs and green object as fermentation cabinet.

• Underneath of the L-shaped counter top a fermentation chamber and make green object a coffin keezer.

• Utilize the root cellar and do something entirely different????

Results are only viewable after voting.
Yeah, Cellarmaker was great. Didn't get to stay as long as I would like but had "7 Wonders" and "Mocha and Cigarettes". Enjoyed both!

IMG_20170215_160253.jpg

A fair amount of progress that I'll try to document in order...

I switched gears to the attached well house:

It had ceiling joists that were installed underneath the top plate of the exterior walls. They were oak 2x4 that I could repurpose so I removed them and installed 2x6 ceiling joists on top of the top plates. This gave me about 5 1/2" more clearance on the ceiling. Getting the 2x6's in there was almost an act of magic.

I pulled out all of the waferboard to get to old rock wool insulation (pretending like it couldn't be asbestos..). Once that was removed I replaced it with fiberglass bats.

Pictures might be out of order, but you get the jest. It sucked.

old_joists.jpg
raised_joists.jpg
rock_wool.jpg

New insulation in wellhouse.

Also got keezer taken care of. I ran three 3" pvc conduits to the back of my taps. The left conduit is for beer lines and air to taps and the right conduit is for return air.

The middle conduit was a "just in case" should I need to run a cooling line and have to return it while keeping the return air conduit unobstructed.

I went ahead and sealed off the middle conduit for now. Hopefully it won't be needed.
IMG_20171020_130730.jpg
IMG_20170929_111332.jpg
IMG_20180218_120943.jpg
IMG_20171221_124804.jpg
IMG_20180218_120858.jpg
IMG_20180218_120913.jpg

Nice.

I like the way you used a computer fan in the PVC through which the beer lines run. What's the story on the other one on the right that appears to be pushing or pulling air through the PVC manifold on the bottom of the freezer? What's going on there?

Thanks, Mongoose. The pvc coming out of the back middle of the keezer collar has a cap on it and a cutout to direct the return air to the right corner. The fan you are asking about is blowing that return air (hopefully) down into the pvc floor with wire shelving on top.

You can't see them because they are drilled to point down somewhat, but the pvc floor has several holes drilled in it to keep air moving and hopefully reduce moisture issues.

The two soda kegs are their to help figure out spacing of things.... I just realized how filthy they are after being in the barn for a year.

Entertainment center thing (ECT):
IMG_20170219_172601.jpg
IMG_20170221_174948.jpg

Start of dartboard backing:
IMG_20170305_134142.jpg

I had run out of wood before I started the liquor cabinet. Fortunately (for me) my father-in-law let someone cut and bale hay on his property and the kid baling it dropped a round bale in the wrong direction on top of the hillside. It rolled about 50 yards before it hit the old spring house that had probably been there for nearly 100 years. All of the liquor cabinet wood is from that spring house.Seeing that the liquor cabinet is really a gift from my father-in-law, I'm going to get a brass plaque along the lines of "Made possible by the generous donation of...".

Liquor cabinet:
IMG_20170723_140515.jpg
IMG_20170723_160238.jpg
IMG_20170826_135805.jpg
IMG_20170907_162723.jpg

Wow! Great vision! You really saw the diamond in the rough here. Really amazed with what you did to that space. I enjoyed looking at the progression...Good Job!

Fermentation control is almost done.

Kudos to FuzzeWuzze, ame, Elco, Thorrak and many others for their countless hours on BrewPi, Fuscus and Fermentrack!

I ended up going with three compact/dorm refrigerators and Fermentrack on the software side. Hardware is the standard fare of RPi3, Unos and relay boards. I was able to squeeze it all into a plastic toolbox by replacing the tray with plexiglass and mounting my electronics with nothing more than zip ties and 2-sided tape:

ferm2.jpg

By the way, does anyone else think of this when they see Thorrak's name?

Attachments

• ferm1.jpg
    ferm1.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 187
I'm fairly certain that wasn't an original idea on my part. If I knew who I stole it from I'd give credit, and if I came up with it on my own, then achieving cleverness is all I ever wanted in life!

This thread has definitely been worth the read. Bitchin job @deprecated

Wish I had an ounce of your skills and creativity.

Back