How long to bottle carb sweet cider before pasteurizing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilikethetrees

Reaction score
I've got a 5 gallon batch of some graff I made with Safale-05 that has fermented for several weeks. I've back sweetened now with about 20 oz. of maple syrup, which was probably more than ideal for taste, but putting flavor aside, does anyone have a general sense of how long cider takes to carbonate with a larger than average amount of priming sugar?

PLEASE NOTE: My goal here is to forcibly stop fermentation once the optimal carbonation level is achieved via stove-top pasteurizing. I know the risks of bottle bombs.

I guess part of my question is whether a higher concentration of sugars in the cider causes higher yeast activity, or should I expect my Safale-05 in this batch to perform similarly to an ale batch, carbonating in approximately 2 weeks?

I'll be testing early and often for carb levels, but there must be someone with experience dealing with this method.

Thanks!

When I bottle carbonate cider and pasteurize, it is always ready well before 2 weeks. It is difficult to say with any exactness the number of days - there are just too many variables. For mine, its usually ready to pasteurize in 3 - 5 days after bottling.

If this is your first time, I'd err on the side of checking early and often. Maybe give it two days and then check. If its starting to carb, then check every day after that.

If your using the flip top style bottles can you just recap the bottle if it's not carbonated enough? Or do you ruin the carbonation once you open the cap after initial bottling?

If you're using grolsch type pop top bottles; they'll vent excess carbonation with no harm done to bottles or cider. I've always let my cider ferment completely out then backsweeten with stevia, and prime and carb like a normal brew. I usually prime with raw local honey for my ciders.:mug:

i guess it depends on the bottles, my flip-top bottles will hold enough pressure to generate a serious gusher. i have had them eject over half of their 750ml content. i was an idiot then. i'm still an idiot, but i don't let them overcarb anymore

Latest posts

Back