What some people will drink!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phunhog

Reaction score
So I brewed up an American Wheat for my buddy's Superbowl party. He isn't a big beer drinker and he wanted something "easy drinking". I figured you can't go wrong with a wheat beer. Anyways something happened during fermentation because the beer had a slight off taste. I am thinking that it must some sort of wild yeast infection. It was significant enough to me that I almost didn't bring the beer since it literally has my name on it! Well short story long.....everyone loved the beer! Now I am not saying that quality doesn't matter because it obviously does. It just taught me a lesson that not everyone drinks and critiques beer as heavily as we do. They were all extremely happy with the finished product so...RDWHAHB!!

I have a similar situation coming up in a few days. I have many BMC drinking friends and made some "yellow fizzy". Well, I was not a fan and my friend has an annual Luau party that is next weekend.

Awhile back I thought I would make it more authentic by adding in some orange peel and pineapple. Well, that caused an infection and what is left is a "sour pineapple ale". It is a bit strong so I will be "adjusting the gravity" for maximum flavor and drinkability. Honestly, it really is not that bad now that I have screwed it up past the point of "normal" lol.

The traditional drink at this party is a rum, fruit punch with rum soaked fruit that they mix up a few days before. It is really good but sticky sweet. My beer should be a violent but pleasant contrast to this...

The best part is they all think this was brewed special for this event, when the reality was I have no other way to get rid of it all, did not really care for it to begin with and now, I have an "exotic specialty beer" to share with friends and guests...lol.

I also have planned ahead for the "distinguished beer snob" guests and have a Luau Brau Special reserve. It will be a non gravity adjusted ale that will be "secondaried" onto toasted coconut...

I had a Pale that I couldnt stand.... I thought it was to thin but had great hop taste and aroma. It flew outta my keg, everyone who came over loved it! go figure...

My first attempt at designing an Irish Red resulted in a thin, astringent, nasty,harsh mess.

Folks who visit ask do I have anymore of it.

The world it seems makes no sense sometimes.

My last English IPA had a stalled fermentation and finished around 1.015, way too sweet for the recipe! It was my "christmas beer" that *direct family only was to enjoy while at my house.* I hated it because it wasn't to style, everyone else has loved it though.

Latest posts

Back