yeast washing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimba009

Reaction score
Can you wash mead yeast? I used WL sweet mead yeast and would like to have a few jars, do I use the same methods as beer yeast? Any info would be much appreciated.;)

yes you can, but it is sooooo cheap you would be better off with buying a crap load of it at once and keeping it in your fridge.

Yeast washing can be done with out any problems, but remember. The more you transfer yeast and add things to yeast the greater the opportunity to get an infection.

I harvested some pacman and made a starter, it was infected and I didn't know it until I dumped a DFH60 and a chocolate stout I split the starter between.

That didn't have to happen, but it did and it wouldn't have if I just would have used a clean finishing yeast. That's all pacman is, a clean finishing yeast. I bough into the hype, i could have used safale-05 and been just as good. Plus I would have 10 more gallons of beer right now.

what do you mean by cheap? it was $6 for a vile of the stuff! if i used dry wine yeast it would not be an issue, just don't want to drop $6 on yeast every time i make mead. maybe i should just stick with the wine yeast

right on! this is my first mead and i wanted to have a good experience with it. i have a few batches of apfelwein under my belt and i have had a good and an under average experiance with the mont. red yeast. what would you recommend? (anyone, anyone)

Premier Cuvee if you want to ferment dry.

Lavlin 1116 will crap out at about 13%. I use it for meads I want to finish a bit sweet.

Yooper probably has some good suggestions as well, she has a lot of experience with wines regardless of the base fermentable.

Back