Carared

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powderbock

Reaction score
So I've tried to do the research, but would like some input.
Carared 20L similar to crystal 20, or is is more similar to carafoam, with just more color.
Planning on brewing today and don't really want to go to the LHBS, but recipe calls for carafoam, and all I have is carared.

Carafoam is around 1-L color, whereas Carared is about 20-L in color.

So, they both perform the same job in terms of body/head retention. The Carared will just give you a slightly darker color.

I'd use the carared and save the trip!
:)
--LexusChris

That's what I figured as well, but have read some post's that equate it to crystal, imparting a carmal flavor as well as more color and head retention. Have crystal 60 in the recipe as well. Will give it a shot.
Actually used it in my last ESB recipe which tasted great going into secondary.

So is caraRed just a darker version of cara-pils or does it actually lend some flavor?

My understanding is that Carared & Crystal 20 are made the same way, and yield the same results. A slight sweetness in addition to the extra color & head retention.
--LexusChris

I agree with lexusChris. My personal experience though, is that carared and c20 have 1 difference. c20 has a more brown color and carared has a well....red color. the "darkness" or lovibond may be the same, but the hue in my experience is quite different. I use carared to add a bit of color and sweetness to my saisons, it really puts an emphasis on the intense orange color.

Latest posts

Back