Secondary or no on a dunkelweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skunkbo

Reaction score
I've brewed a Dunkelweizen that I would like to have for the Superbowl. That is two weeks from the brewdate. My plan is to leave in primary for 13 days, keg and force carbonate (and hope for the best). I could move to secondary in a week, but don't know if I should with a dunkelweizen (or if it would help at all). I usually cold crash. Is this unnecessary with a dunkelweizen?

Thanks.

I've brewed a Dunkelweizen that I would like to have for the Superbowl. That is two weeks from the brewdate. My plan is to leave in primary for 13 days, keg and force carbonate (and hope for the best). I could move to secondary in a week, but don't know if I should with a dunkelweizen (or if it would help at all). I usually cold crash. Is this unnecessary with a dunkelweizen?

Thanks.

A 24 hour carb period probably isn't enough- it may have quite a "carbonic acid bite" from trying to carb it up so fast. I'd try to make sure to keg it by day 10.

A secondary isn't needed with a dunkel, and you can cold crash during the carbing so don't worry about that.

I'd make sure to make a large starter, and ferment at the optimum fermentation temperature to ensure that it's done by day 7, with three days in the fermenter for a "clean up" period and time for some of the bigger suspended particles to fall out.

Thanks for your reply--sounds like good advice. I wondered about the secondary. Made a pretty healthy looking starter. Pitched yesterday and was going great guns by nighttime, room is at a very steady 68. Already slowing down after about 30 hours. I'll try to get it kegged by day 10 so it has time to mellow a bit.

Back