Top Cropped - How much yeast do I have?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frailn

Reaction score
So, I top cropped some Wyeast 1469 from a pale ale I'm brewing. I ended up with a mason jar with about 5 ounces of pure yeast sitting in the bottom. I've been reading internet articles and Mr. Malty, trying to figure out how much yeast I have harvested.

So, far, I think this is about 600 billion cells? Five ounces is 148 milliliters of yeast.

Just trying to figure out if I need a starter, or if I can just warm this jar of yeast to room temp, and pitch in my next five gallon batch at 1.056 SG. It seems like a heck of a lot more yeast than I've seen in a Wyeast smack pack or White Labs vial. I'm thinking I won't need a starter.

BTW - the krausen on this 1469 is some super thick stuff! Almost like cream cheese.

Here is a pic of the yeast in question. That is a pint size mason jar, so I'm thinking this is about 4-5 ounces of pure yeast. I plan on just warming this up to room temp and pitching it as-is in my next five gallon batch.

Unless, someone thinks I should do a starter. But, I am thinking there are enough viable yeast cells here for a good pitch. It was top cropped last week, so this is less than seven days old. The yeast are still off-gassing C02, I have to release pressure everyday! Might need to pick up an airlock for future top cropped yeast.

1469.jpg

I do that all the time, and it always seems to be plenty of yeast for me. Scientifically is it enough? I don't know, but my experience says it'll do just fine, better than no starter at all for sure

I think you should divide this into about three or four parts, do a starter from one, and save the others (in separate jars) for future use. :)

Back