Hop schedule for Roggenweizen / Little Sumpin Sumpin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dymnas

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm trying to come up with a beer that's kind of split between roggenweizen, hefeweizen, and the Little Sumpin' Sumpin' from Lagunitas. I've got my grain bill settled.

3.3 lbs extra light LME
5.5 lbs light wheat malt (Ger)
1.5 lbs rye malt
.75 lbs flaked wheat
.5 lbs home toasted wheat malt
.5 lb rice hulls (should I bump it to the full pound?)

Now, I'm using 3068, Weihenstephan Weisse, and I want it to be cloudy and (hopefully) a little bit clove-banana as is traditional of Hefeweizen, but I also want a decent amount of hop aroma. I'm hoping that with just bittering and aroma hop additions I can get the malt to come out a bit in the flavor. Will dry hopping give me much in the palate? What hops should I use? I have an ounce each of Fuggle, Nugget, Tettnang, and Apollo, and I've got about a third ounce of Magnum.

I was thinking of using the Nugget and Magnum for bittering and then a bit of fuggle, tettnang and apollo at flameout or 5 minutes, and then reserving some of those for dry hopping as well. Does that sound like it'll come out nice? I just noticed that none of those are very citrusy like the Little Sumpin Sumpin.. damn. Maybe a bit of cascade? My LHBS is close and well supplied so I can go get others if I need.

Granted, none of this will be in any sort of style, I just want to make something tasty. I'm starting to get concerned that it's just going to taste muddled and confused without any clear sense of direction.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Back