whirlpool IC- a simpler way?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuzzCraft

Reaction score
So, I've planning my keggle build and thinking about chilling methods, pick up tubes, etc. Jamil's whirlpool method sounds great, but I don't want to deal with pumps, etc.

So here's my idea (sorry, no drawing): Lid on the keggle has a hole in the center to mount a paddle that extends down into the wort and a hole on the side of the lid to accomodate the immersion chiller in/out tubes. Attach a variable speed motor or drill to the paddle. Paddle extends down into the center of the immersion chiller. Boil's done: Turn on the chiller, turn on the paddle...bob's yer uncle.

I realize this may not accomplish everything the Jamil method does (hydrodynamically), but wouldn't it garner most of the benefits? Certainly seems more efficient than occasionally stirring with the IC.

Problems with this?

I've been thinking about this exact thing a bunch here lately. I like the idea of keeping some sort of lid on during cooling, and I've been trying to come up with a good way to modify the top that I cut out of my keggle to allow for some sort of stirring rod and IC in and outs. Anxious to see pics if you come up with something!

Ha...and I thought I was gonna be all brilliant and do this tomorrow for my brew....sound's like I'm not so original.

I'm going to try and modify a 12V window actuator motor I have hanging around to do the trick. Nice and slow, should work well.

:mug:

Ha...and I thought I was gonna be all brilliant and do this tomorrow for my brew....sound's like I'm not so original.

I'm going to try and modify a 12V window actuator motor I have hanging around to do the trick. Nice and slow, should work well.

:mug:

cool...i won't be doing it tomorrow, so if you get it rolling, post results!

it would be key if one could speed the action up after the wort has cooled to get a good whirlpool in order to achieve the hop/trub cone. i see no reason why this wouldn't happen.

I think the easiest and cheapest way is to use an ice cream maker motor or rotiserrie motor from the gas grill

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=178185-81-49949&lpage=none

Trying to figure out how to hook this up. Its all metal and about 3 inches in diameter and 1.5 feet tall. Its a little short.

Its makes a nice whirl pool with my cordless. I have an ice cream maker motor or a rotisserie I'd like to utilize.

I'm doing direct fired mashes and would like to be able to have a stirrer (besides my mash paddle and bad shoulders) when firing kettle also. I figured it could multi-task doing double duty as whirlpooler and mash stirrer.

Latest posts

Back