What to use Alarm relay output on PID for???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flananuts

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
After two AG batches through my all electric single tier HERMS I've been pondering a use of the alarm feature on my PID. One of my issues I've found is that my keggles wrapped in reflectix and my all copper CFC are extremely efficient. My strike water need only be 5 degrees or so above my mash temp because the HLT fed CFC has approximately 7 gallons in it for heat, sparge, and post sparge cleanup. One of my problems is I have to kill the HLT pump during my recirc to keep the mash temp in range. My HLT element is reading the inflow of the wort returning to the MLT and the cycling is such that I have to kill the pump to not overshoot my temp, even though the PID has my element off.

My thought is... can I use the alarm relay in the PID to turn on/off my pump? Do I have to rig up a separate relay to handle the voltage on the pump or can I just run it through the alarm relay? I use an Auber instruments model Model: SYL-2352. The alarms are at process high/low alarm. It says it can handle 3A at 120v. I know the march pumps won't draw more than 2A. So can I just hard wire my neutral to the alarm and have the alarm cycle on /off my pump?

I've posted my rig on the thread so no need to shamelessly display it again :D however you can see it here

Thanks

Flananuts

No direct-hand experience, but I've heard the direct switching abilities of these PIDs is greatly over-estimated. May want to consider driving a relay instead.

Back