Another Flat Belgian Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alaskajoe

Reaction score
So the recap of my situation is this...I brewed and bottled a Belgian Strong (I think), racked to bottling bucket and bottled using the appropriate amount of DME. Over a month after bottling, it's still totally flat.

I am told I can force carbonate by opening the bottles and pouring them into a keg slowly. Would it also be possible to pour them all into a fresh carboy, repitch some yeast, and then go through the bottling process all over again? That's likely a dumb noobie style question, but I thought I would see if it's a doable thing.

I would personally try adding a few grains of dry yeast to each of the bottles and recap them before pouring into a keg, since you aregoing to uncap them anyway. Since this is a belgian, which is likely high gravity, the yeast are probably stressed.

Brewlog timeline:
Brewed on 3/6/10
Racked to secondary on 3/16/10
Bottled on 3/29/10

OG: 1.080 (ish)
SG: reading at racking on 3/16/10 1.024
FG: 1.017-1.019 at bottling

I would personally try adding a few grains of dry yeast to each of the bottles and recap them before pouring into a keg, since you aregoing to uncap them anyway. Since this is a belgian, which is likely high gravity, the yeast are probably stressed.

+1 but just recap after adding just one or two yeast grains. I've had to do this before and it worked well. Don't dump the beers in a keg or carboy again. It'll introduce too much o2 and make ur beer worse than it is flat. The strain of dry yeast you choose doesn't make a difference.

+1 but just recap after adding just one or two yeast grains. I've had to do this before and it worked well. Don't dump the beers in a keg or carboy again. It'll introduce too much o2 and make ur beer worse than it is flat. The strain of dry yeast you choose doesn't make a difference.

+2

I had a Dubbel take about 6 weeks to carb up, too slow for me. On my last beer, a 9.2% Tripel, I cold crashed and gelatined out the primary yeast. I added 2 grams of rehydrated Safbrew T-58 to the bottling bucket. It's supposed to be a good bottling strain, great flocculation and alcohol tolerance. After a week in the bottle, the carbonation is almost fully done. I plan on doing this for all my big Belgians from now on. Too much stress on the primary yeast slows down the carbing.

Back