How long does fermentation last

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTminded

Reaction score
I am making my first cider and seem stuck on the fermentation stage. I used cider from a farm. I added 1 campden tablet per gallon for 24 hours to kill any wild yeast then added 2 lbs brown sugar and pitched in some wine yeast. It has been fermenting at between 65-67 degrees for a month. I still get bubbles out of the airlock every 5-10 minutes. The air from the air lock smells kind of like a freshly opened bottle of wine. I called a brew shop and they said a secondary fermentation can take place. Have any of you had this happen and is it a good thing. I was hoping to be drinking this by Christmas.

I don't think a month is a long time. I've had a batch going since Aug. 20 or so, and it's still fermenting a little (pushing a bubble out of the fermentation lock at least a couple times a day). Depending on the yeast you used and your original gravity, you may have a ways to go yet.

if you haven't racked it into a secondary container and there is a lot of sediment at the bottom of the container, you might think about doing so.

Latest posts

Back