Fertilizer for Hop plants

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZooBrew

Reaction score
I have a Goldings plant going pretty well. I have been using VF-11 to feed it every other week. Does any one have different ideas on this?

I can't seem to find anything that lists the ingredients of this stuff. mebe my Google-fu is off it's yang today. I do find a couple "suggestions" that it's dilute potassium nitrate or giberelic acid.

From reading a few threads you may actually see better performace from the use of fish emulsion type fertilizers. That is, as long as you can stand the odor.

Like said, looks like it is mostly potassium. While that is good, it may not be enough by itself. Plants love nitrogen, but you say everything is looking good, so I am not sure what you are looking for.

IMO, a good hop fertilizer should be fairly well balance for the N.P.K (nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium). A good choice might be Miracle Gro tomato and vegetable fertilizer:

Miracle-Gro Water Soluble Tomato Plant Food - Scotts Miracle-Gro

It's not overly hot on the nitrogen side which can cause burning and it has a good track record Pretty much an all purpose outdoor plant food. Whatever you do, don't over dose the hops with fertilzer, especially during hot dry weather. Better to err in the other direction.

I wouldn't use Miracle Grow as it is loaded with ammonia salts which work in the short term, but are not great in the long run as the amount of NH3 in the soil will build. Your best bet is to use a natural fertilizer or compost or combination of the two. I throw compost on my hops like mulch and they love it.

Latest posts

Back