AHA Surly Wort Rally

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was fun! I ended up winning the yeast book, $25 gift card, 10 lbs of grain & some other stuff.

Thanks for the OG. I threw in the starter right away because I wasn't going home until the evening and wasn't able to check it. I had a starter of the WLP 645 - Brett C that had been going for a week. It was going crazy this morning.

Not exactly sure what I'm going to do with it yet, but thinking of splitting the batch and doing a heavy dry hop with one batch, and adding something fruity to the second. I would like to do wine must or grapes, but not sure if I'll be able to find any for a reasonable price.

Meh. Best part of the day was my bike ride to/from. Seriously, no tours?

Did you miss the tour? We stood in the room and the guy talked on the microphone that kept cutting out. The "tour" came when you were filling your keg/bucket/carboy with wort. How DID you get that glass carboy home anyway?

My fiance and i were disappointed by the tour as well.

So far my two batches are bubbling like crazy. I wish i had a blow off tube! Smells great too

Did you miss the tour? We stood in the room and the guy talked on the microphone that kept cutting out. The "tour" came when you were filling your keg/bucket/carboy with wort. How DID you get that glass carboy home anyway?

I didn't fill a carboy, so I wasn't aware of the secret tour.

Can anyone else confirm that the OG was 1.051? I know it was targeted at 1.053, but pitched my yeast starter right way and neglected to take a hydrometer reading. Glad I was around to keep an eye on it, I needed to switch to a blow-off hose about 12 hours after pitching. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out!!!

3 days in the fermentor and it's 1.026... I made a brown porter Sunday morning and it's at 1.010, I guess 04 isn't as 'hot' as 05 in the porter after all.

Side Note: Tasted the SURLY beer, tart stomach acid flavor and I have 10 gallons of the stuff! YUCK! :cool:

I tasted the wort before pitching and it reminded me of some sort of meat. Then the fermentation stunk up my house pretty weird.

Not expecting much from this beer.

I thought the ferm smell was fantastic! Is the tartness that is throwing me. It goes to Wyoming in August so it better be drinkable by then.

I'm excited to see how this one turns out. Has anyone taken a gravity reading yet or planned to transfer to secondary?

Todd tweeted that the OG was 13 degrees plato, so 1.053 OG. I used WLP630 so expecting it should get it down to 1.014 to 1.010. He indicated he thought 5 days would be all it would need in primary. I'm planning to take a gravity tonight and then again tomorrow afternoon to see if it's done yet.

I'm excited to see how this one turns out. Has anyone taken a gravity reading yet or planned to transfer to secondary?

Todd tweeted that the OG was 13 degrees plato, so 1.053 OG. I used WLP630 so expecting it should get it down to 1.014 to 1.010. He indicated he thought 5 days would be all it would need in primary. I'm planning to take a gravity tonight and then again tomorrow afternoon to see if it's done yet.

I started out at 1.051 and am at 1.012 right now.

IMG_1766.JPG

Correction: I used 05 not 04 as previously mentioned.

I think it would be fun to do a HBT bottle trade from the Surly wort. Not sure how to organize it, but it couldn't be that difficult. Meet at a designated time and place, bring X amount of bottles to share. Anyone interested in such a thing?

Man keep US posted on that trois blend. I just pitched funktown from the yeast bay and dry Belgian from the yeast bay. Looking forward to the results!

If I bottle any i might be up for a trade.
028 is chugging away, it switched from a sweet smell in the fermentor to a very tart/sour smell

3711 brought mine down to 1.006. I'll probably keg it in a couple days. Hydrometer sample tasted pretty good. It was tart but not too bad.

Did anyone take ph reading before pitching? After a long weekend, I didn't do anything other than pitch and then nap, lol.

I pitched 05 on half of it, and put around 5lbs of raspberries from my yard in the other half.

I am working on plating some wild yeast from my yard, but don't have anything built up enough to pitch yet. So I figured I'd throw the berries right in and let them battle it out for a few months

https://instagram.com/p/5U728anI3z/

3.52 from what SurlyBrewer posted.

Mine is down to 1.013 and tasted really nice.

Once I bottle it, I can send you a couple to enjoy. I don't intend on drinking all of this as I am not a big sour beer kind of guy.

Sounds good. I'll send you an Edwort's haus pale ale and an amber. Edwort's is going in the keg today so it will be a week or so.

Luckily I looked at this thread since the forum didn't mark me as being quoted.

I'll be gone for a while, returning on the 17 th. The sour should be ready to bottle and ship by then. Looking forward to Edworts and the amber!

I think it would be fun to do a HBT bottle trade from the Surly wort. Not sure how to organize it, but it couldn't be that difficult. Meet at a designated time and place, bring X amount of bottles to share. Anyone interested in such a thing?

I'd be down for that.

Just bought some peaches to put in it. for a Kettle-Soured Peach Saison. Waiting for them to ripen up a bit.

Me too! I don't want more sour though, I'd trade for other home brews gladly.

The wife is going the peach route as well. We used some peach liquor in the keg I made and it was tolerable. Hers should be even more mellow.

I fermented one batch out with yeast bay funky town, thinking I'm gonna throw some lemongrass in the secondary of that one, the another batch fermented with Belgian yeast, going to blend that with a batch of wheat beer and rack it on to fresh honeydew

I fermented one batch out with yeast bay funky town, thinking I'm gonna throw some lemongrass in the secondary of that one, the another batch fermented with Belgian yeast, going to blend that with a batch of wheat beer and rack it on to fresh honeydew

Yuuuum! I like the idea of blending it. Thanks!

OK, this is a joke right? This is what sour beer should taste like? I just cant do it, its awful but my brew buddy says its "spot on" for a good sour (YUC-freakin-K!

I bottled it, who wants it?

Dude, give it time. Sours sometimes take months or years to develop and they change over time. Two weeks is just not much time for a sour.

Sours are kind of an acquired taste imo. Mine doesn't taste half bad right now. Not as funky-sour as some I've had. Real fruity. Kinda peachy actually. So hopefully the peaches I added will work well.

I will be bottling the rest of it tonight and putting it all in the wine cellar to age, it is not going to friends until/unless it becomes palatable, right now it's disgusting! Sour is one thing but this tastes like vomit.

I will be bottling the rest of it tonight and putting it all in the wine cellar to age, it is not going to friends until/unless it becomes palatable, right now it's disgusting! Sour is one thing but this tastes like vomit.

I'm curious if the 04 had something to do with your vomit like flavor. The ph of the wort was low to begin with and if I'm not mistaken english and american yeasts are not as ph tolerant as others (like belgian).

Maybe the low ph (and increasingly so as it ferments) stressed out the yeast and it's producing off flavors.

Fermented with the trois blend for 9 days and it stayed at 1.016 for the last 4 days. (I previously posted 1.010 at 5 days but realized i read the refractometer wrong: 7.5 Brix not 6.5)

Little funk, sour while kegging. On CO2 right now. will taste again in a week. Seems like it would be a good thirst quencher on a hot day! Could have a few at only 4.6 ABV.

The other 5 gal is on a sacc/brett blend so I'll check it in a few months.

Yeah I pitched mine a few days after getting the wort, but fermenting now and it smells amazing. The Belgian smells like sweet banana and the funktown smells like an array of citrusy goodness. IMO a pale sour needs a good yeast to give it some character. Try making a us04 pale ale with no flavor hops, then add lactic acid. That's essentially what you have right now. IMO try adding an adjunct to give it some character, some sort of citrus zest or spice. Also agreed that you should give it a couple more weeks.

I sampled mine after 24 hours at 40 PSI and it was face melting tart. 24 more hours on the gas and it has greatly mellowed. Now it's a clean and lightly tart saison. Reminds me a lot of Boulevard's Brett Saison, I just used 3711 though.

I'll be gone for a while, returning on the 17 th. The sour should be ready to bottle and ship by then. Looking forward to Edworts and the amber!

I'm about ready to bottle the end of the amber. Hopefully I don't kick it tonight. :drunk: Edwort's should be ready to go any day now.

I read about the severe tartness of the sour mash so I'll leave it at basement temps for a couple months.

For anyone who already bottled or kegged, what was the FG? I will check the graity tonight to see if i can keg my batch with wyeast 1007 soon but i wanted to check what final gravity others got down to.

My second batch ( the fiance's ) was pitched with WLP650 and the brett came alive immediately and a pellicle formed within a week. I'm going to let it for 6 weeks before checking the gravity. I'll bottle this batch to let me taste the changes over weeks, months, years. I was a bit worried about bottle bombs but Ill check a few weeks in a row at the 6 week mark to see if its ready for bottling.

Dan ABA from the youtubes gave me a great wiki when i asked when this should be done Little info and almost no info from the yeast manufacture. white labs just said it doens't recommend it in primary. Not very helpful. here is the link: http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Brettanomyces#Starter_Information

Back