Fermentation timeline

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wakadaka

Reaction score
I am buying a second primary this weekend, and I would like to start brewing every two weeks, with all beers sitting 4 weeks in primary (of course subject to change, but for scheduling purposes right now lets say that is exactly what it will be. I have a swamp cooler in the closet which can keep beers anywhere from 60-68 depending on how much ice. My plan is to put it in there right when I brew it, leave it for 2 weeks and then take it out and put it on my countertop for the next 2. I have been leaving it in the closet for most of the primary and moving it to where I will be siphoning/ bottling anywhere from a few hours to a day before I plan to bottle. I want to let it sit at its final destination longer to avoid stirring up the sediment. Problem is the area where I would bottle ranges from ~70-78.

I know that temperature is most important for the bulk of fermentation but is that too high for a conditioning phase in the primary? Also would letting the beer sit for two weeks and then siphoning right from where it is make it a clearer finish in the bottle?

No need to worry about the temps once fermentation is complete. Your plan sounds pretty much like what I do. If you have the ability to rack to you bottling bucket straight from you fermenter without moving it, that is the way to go. The less you move the fermenter the less trub you stir up to get into your bottles.

Alright cool. How long would be the optimal time before bottling to move the primary? Obviously not moving it at all would be best, but would it make a difference from say 1 week ahead to 2 weeks ahead?

+1 on temperature not mattering much after the majority of fermentation is complete.

I also think you could get away with moving it as little as 1-2 days before racking. It doesn't take that long for the trub to settle out.

Back