converting extract Recipe to AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danorocks17

Reaction score
Every year I make a christmas ale for the christmas party my wife and throw for friends and family. It has been a big hit, and though I have varied it a little over the last three years it stays relatively. I have always done it as an extract with grains and would like to do it AG this year for the first time. I was hoping some of you guys/gals could help me convert it to AG. Here is the recipe I did last year:

6lbs Amber DME
1lbs Honey
7 oz Crystal 60L
4 oz Chocolate Malt
2 oz Amber Malt
2 oz Roasted Barley

2 sticks cinnamon
1/2 oz fresh ginger root
Zest of 4 oranges

I tried searching on here for an base grain replacement for Amber DME but couldn't find any. Thanks!

go to http://beercalculus.hopville.com/

plug in your numbers and see what the OG is... Then take out the DME add in as much base grain as you need to hit your target. Depending on the overall style and yeast you select I would go with something like english or american 2-row or Maris Otter.

I could be wrong but I believe whe someone says "amber dme" the amber is only correlating to the color contrition of the DME to the wort not necessarily taste.

biggest difference from subbing in 2-row will prob be lighter color in AG version but flavor shouldn't be an issue

may be able to do a longer boil to help match some of the color and maybe mash in mid 150's to get similar fermentability or add in some crystal to help match SRM values - although the chocolate and roasted barley may be dark enough to not be an issue

I could be wrong but I believe whe someone says "amber dme" the amber is only correlating to the color contrition of the DME to the wort not necessarily taste.

That is what i was wondering. I use beer calculus religiously, but i was unsure if 2-row or marris otter would work by themselves. maybe use more amber malt or more crystal for color?

I am no expert with grain but I think it would be safe to say you could add a few more ounces of each specialty grain and achieve a darker brew with minimal effects on the flavor. You could also do a larger "mini mash" and sub in some amber dme? I do brews all the time with about 75% grain 25% DME. Its just easier and you dont have to be overly concerned about conversion & efficiency.

Amber DME is going to have some C60 and some Munich in it. If using an American 2-row, I'd add some of each.
Bull

Amber DME is going to have some C60 and some Munich in it. If using an American 2-row, I'd add some of each.
Bull

I agree. It's hard to say exactly what is in "amber extract", because the manufacturer won't say, but I'd guess that it would be two-row, Munich malt, and crystal.

Thanks for all the input everyone! after plugging and chugging away with beer calculus, this is seems to fall in line with what i'm going for:

10 lbs Golden Promise
2 lbs Munich
1 lbs Crystal 60
1 lbs Honey
4 oz Chocolate Malt
3 oz Roasted Barley

I used GP as the base grain because i basically adapted a Scottish ale recipe to be my holiday brew, which also explains the roasted barley.

Thanks for all the input everyone! after plugging and chugging away with beer calculus, this is seems to fall in line with what i'm going for:

10 lbs Golden Promise
2 lbs Munich
1 lbs Crystal 60
1 lbs Honey
4 oz Chocolate Malt
3 oz Roasted Barley

I used GP as the base grain because i basically adapted a Scottish ale recipe to be my holiday brew, which also explains the roasted barley.

Whoops! forgot to add 1 lbs of Amber malt

Whoops! forgot to add 1 lbs of Amber malt

I think you're better off without it. You've already got a fairly complex grainbill. I love amber malt- it brings a dry biscuity flavor to a beer that no other malt does. But I rarely use more than 6 ounces in a 13 pound grainbill. One pound is a LOT, plus will not really do much for that grainbill anyway.

I think you're better off without it. You've already got a fairly complex grainbill. I love amber malt- it brings a dry biscuity flavor to a beer that no other malt does. But I rarely use more than 6 ounces in a 13 pound grainbill. One pound is a LOT, plus will not really do much for that grainbill anyway.

So you think I should just cut it out all together? Thanks Yoop, i'm new to AG :fro:

Back