Its Christmas and my hops are starting to come up!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calder

Reaction score
Cut my 1 year old bines down to about 2 feet at the end of last year, and just left them to whither away.

We have had some unseasonably warm weather this winter. Normally we are in the deep freeze by now, but weather has been a lot warmer than normal. My grass seems to be growing, lots of weeds coming up, dandelions in flower, and some spring bulbs are starting to come up.

Went out to the compost bin today. Thought I'd check the hops, and found 2 of them (of 3) with fresh growth from the old bines. One had about an inch growth. I went out and cut it all back to the ground.

Should I be concerned about next years growth? Should be below freezing next week, which should carry thru for a couple of months - but who knows; crazy weather these days.

It's common to burn back/remove the first growth after the first year so you should be good. I'm up in NEO and have garlic poking through that was planted at the end of Nov., crazy weather for sure. Lets hope for a blanket of snow pretty soon to help insulate things.

I had the same thing going on. A few weeks ago I went out and checked my plants to find several first year plants sending up new shoots. I simply pinched off the new growth.
Here in South Jersey just over the river from Philly it was 68 degrees on Christmas. I went outside and checked the plants to find more new growth. This time it was on two first years and my hallertau. Pinched those new shoots off as well.

IMG_20151225_124232832.jpg

In Wisconsin, the onions I planted in the fall to pop in the spring are all sprouting. Ugh.

Just ignore them. They may grow, the may freeze off...it doesn't matter. Come back in late feb and cut them all off.

Back