rehydrating yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhineeaux

Reaction score
so i had some old yeast that has been kept in my fridge, left it out overnight and then added it to some 100degree water this morning. I am about to pitch it into my 1 gallon of carrot wine i mixed up last night....did i do that right?

hopefully yeast is still good, i figured rehydrating might indicate if it was, but im not really sure what im doing as this is my first rehydration. It just looks like cream right now.

thanks for the help again guys!

Yes...you did it right. I like to let it sit for 15 minutes after sprinkling the yeast on the water, then come back and stir gently. Wait another 5 minutes, then pitch.

Rehydrating wont tell you if the yeast is good or not, it just gets the yeast ready for pitching.

I've used dry yeast (kept in fridge) that was over a year past its expiration date & had no problems with it at all. BTW, it was Red Star Premeire Cuvee. Regards, GF.

Latest posts

Back