Which capper?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirsloop

Reaction score
I remember when my dad was brewing we had a solid cast capper... not one of the cheesy plastic ones like they have today.

The closest thing I can find are the Agata and Super Agata cappers in stores... for a whopping 30-40 bucks. For the same price I can land something like this on ebay shipped. There should be no problem with one of these and standard 12oz pop top bottles, right?

d0_1.JPG

I just cant see spending 40 bucks on a plastic hunk of junk thats gonna break. These all metal ones NEVER break.

you really can't go wrong with a bench capper. mine, however, is adjustable in height to accommodate different size bottles. i like that feature becasue i do use different size bottles and from time to time my collection of 12 oz bottles differs in height.

the one above is also adjustable to a certian degree. You should only need 1/4 turn to put a cap on... and the thing will go up and down probably 6-8" for adjustment.

I bought the bench capper that you would see at the LHBS... a bit of plasitc in it for sure. So far so good. I've used it for 4 bottle sessions so far without a thought that it was going to break... even droped it once. Looks sturdy. Mounted it on a board long enough for me to plant whatever chair I'm sitting on rigth on top of it.

sirsloop said:
I remember when my dad was brewing we had a solid cast capper...
.....I just cant see spending 40 bucks on a plastic hunk of junk thats gonna break. These all metal ones NEVER break.
My family bottled rootbeer and we had one similar to your pic.
Alas, it got misplaced over time - they haven't moved - just collected more stuff and it's been covered over or accidentally thrown out.

So, I have a plastic one now. My second - the first one broke in the 2nd 50 bottles! BUT, the LHBS replaced it free. Now it has lasted 2 yrs.

But, if I were you, I pick up the all cast metal or switch to kegging.

Back