Water for mini mash - getting conflicting answers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
I just read on this board I should use 1.25 quarts of water per pound of grain in a mini mash

So 3.5lb grain = 4.83 quarts OR 1.2 gallons.

Yet AHS has all of their mini mash recipes using 2.5 gallons.

?????????

Is this another AHS default number? (Like the Corn Sugar)

For 3.5lb of grain who much water SHOULD I use!

For a REAL mash, you need somewhere between 1 - 1.5 qts per pound of grain to allow the enzymes to do their work. With 3.5 lbs of grain, that would be 3.5 - 5.25 qts, or, .875 - 1.3 gal. If you go with too thin a mash, the enzymes can't get around to all of the sugars as easily making you get poor conversion, or take a VERY long time to finally get there. If you mash too thick, then the enzymes have a hard time moving around in the thick viscous wort, and again may result in poor conversion. Poor conversion leads to hazy beer and low effeciancy.

So, I say go with what your calculations tell you.

Also depends on if you're doing an actual mini-mash or if you're just steeping the grains.

True. How much of that 3.5lbs is base malt? Although, I assume with that much malt, some of it must be 2-row, therefore it IS a partial mash.

But remember that Forrest also built the recipe with an assumed 70% efficiency. I think that there is a sufficient amount of fermentables from the malt extract to offset any perceived mashing problems.

Grinder- give it a shot using your 1.25 qt/lb and measure your efficiency. Personally, I'm inclined to go with Forrest's recipe seeing that it is proven at this stage.....but brew it how you'd like. Perhaps PM Forrest so he can sound in on this thread rather than speculating.

Normally 2 to 2.5 lbs of base grain. I just worry because ALL the recipes are 2.5 gallons, just like ALL the carbing is with 4.5 oz of Corn Sugar.

Most of their instructions are just defaults to make it easier but I'd like to do it correctly.

Most mini mash instructions recipes call for 1.25 per pound.

I'm not saying Forrest is wrong but I want to do things perfectly and there is a BIG difference.

With that said I have done AHS Mini mashes and have hit the OG perfectly (not the FG though - my problem on that one).

BTW - their kits are turning out pretty good!

So it seems no one really has a real answer on the correct way to mini mash! I'm thinking there is no actual correct way.

Have you contacted Forrest for his opinions/thoughts on the matter?

When I have done PM recipes of my own (or another's) creation, I've always done it according to the usual 1.25 qt/lb for the mash.

If you are satisfied with your results and your OG is coming in according to recipe, seems all this is just academic.

I emailed him AHS - no response yet.

What brought this all on is that I was creating my own recipe and am conflicted on which method to use. Obviously a Mini Mash is not an exact science.

If you are creating your own, there's no reason not to build it around the typical water:grist ratio.

What kind of beer are you planning? Be sure to put up your recipe in the recipe/ingredients section for any C/C. :mug:

Is that 2.5G the boil size maybe? If it were me I would mash with 1.3qt/lbs and then sparge to get the 2.5G boil volume. You CAN mash with 2qt/lbs but it's a very thin mash and you'll probably want to go for 90 minutes if you do.

Recipe says

bring 2.5 gallons of water to 160
Soak grains (includes 2+lbs of base and specialty grains) for 45 minutes at 155
yada yada yada
then pour 170 degree water 1 quart per 2 lb grain . . yada yada

when finished dilute to make 5.25 gallons.

Seriously - I LIKE AHS recipes but am wondering why there is such a difference. I was going to make my own Mini Mash recipe with this as a template but . . . then read differently.

All seems normal except the starting volume of water.

Mashing and mini-mashing are the same thing, I would use a ratio in the proper amount if it were me. Go with 1.3qt/lbs and do a normal mash and sparge to get your boil volume. Then follow the rest of their directions and I bet it comes out great.

Because THOSE parts of the instructions never change I wonder if the default is 2.5 to make sure large grain bills will get enough water?? Perhaps too little water is worse then too much ???

From AHS:

Our recipe sheets recommend 2 to 2.5 gallons of water. I use 2 gallons
myself. You want to have enough water to contact all of the grains for a
good conversion. Most books talk about 1.25 quarts per gallon when dealing
with All-Grain. With our Mini-Mash recipe kits I would recommend using
about 2 gallons of water.

Two key issues with making Mini-Mash recipe kits are water pH and steeping
temperature. To help adjust the pH of the water add about 1 1/2 cups of the
liquid malt extract to the water before you steep the grains. The acids in
the malt will help balance the pH of the water. While steeping the grains
the water temperature is very important. I bring my water to about 158 to
160 degrees F. Turn off the heat. Dunk the grains. I take a long spoon
and push the grains from the center out. This spreads the grains and makes
sure that they all get mixed with the water. I then put the lid on my pot
to help reduce heat loss.

If I'm doing one of my own PM recipes, I'll use 1.25 qt/lb. For AHB kits, I follow the instructions, mostly. Did one with 1.25 qt/lb and got a couple extra points. Haven't bothered since.

So it seems no one really has a real answer on the correct way to mini mash! I'm thinking there is no actual correct way.
There is no 'correct' way :)

You can mash, mini-mash, mash-potato, whatever with any amount of water. The ranges can vary from 1 - 2 qts of water per pound of grain. Don't be afraid. There is no 100% right way. Your temps are more important than the amount of water anyway.

Back