Need to Re-pitch yeast - can I use different kind?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yournotpeter

Reaction score
My first lager (Mai Bock) is nearing 72 hours since I pitched my starter yeast (WLP833 - lager fridge set at 50) and I have NO activity. I took a gravity reading and it hasn't budged.

I'm concerned because I had a slight issue with my starter. Instead of racking off the starter wort, I tried pouring it off...but I was starting to lose a lot of my yeast, so I ended up pitching about half the entire starter (wort included). So I'm thinking I pitched far less yeast than I needed to.

So, considering it's about 72 hours, I'm thinking about pitching more yeast tomorrow. But here's my dilemma....my LHBS doesn't sell the WLP833 German Bock yeast (ordered it online), but they do have the WLP830 German Lager.

Two Questions:
1) Any issues with repitching a different style of yeast?
2) Am I overreacting that it's been 72 hours with no signs of fermentation? Is 72 hours not long enough?

THANKS...I wanna RDWHAHB, but it's difficult with this being my first lager and all....

first, nobody "racks" the wort off a starter. one will "decant" or pour it off the flocculated yeast, if so desired. did you cold-crash the yeasties to "sleep them"? considering it is a lager, i would give it twice the normal time an ale should show activity. especially if the pitch was not as intended. if it is dead, another yeast won't hurt, if it is alive, the next yeast is a waste.. it won't be able to compete with the established (moreso) strain.

first, nobody "racks" the wort off a starter. one will "decant" or pour it off the flocculated yeast, if so desired. did you cold-crash the yeasties to "sleep them"?

You know, I had always poured off the starter wort for my ale yeasts without issue. But for some reason, when I did it with this one, the yeast didn't stay "stuck" to the bottom and and moved right into the wort...in essence, I was decanting my yeast! I then did some research and read from someone who actually would rack off his starter wort as to not disturb the yeast on the bottom. I thought it sounded interesting.

I did indeed cold-crash the yeast so they would settle out of the wort. I had a real nice, thick layer on the bottom...but for some bizarre reason, it just didn't "stay" on the bottom when decanting.

did you try to pour at record speed? even the tightest cake will have floaters if the surface movement is too great. the only reason i decant about half of my starters of 2L so i can drink it.. that way i know it's not infected and to see the true profile of the strain.

If your starter "started" .... then you've got yeast. If you under-pitched, then it may take a bit longer to see activity. The yeast are probably busy building up enough troops do do the job.

What temperature did you pitch at? What is your current temp? How much yeast did you pitch?

Relax - you're making beer.

I'm drinking a Maibock right now. It's a good beer. I used WLP830 on this batch. But in your situation, I wouldn't pitch more, I'd wait it out.

If your starter "started" .... then you've got yeast. If you under-pitched, then it may take a bit longer to see activity. The yeast are probably busy building up enough troops do do the job.

What temperature did you pitch at? What is your current temp? How much yeast did you pitch?

I wouldn't pitch more, I'd wait it out.

I pitched at 45, based upon the recommendations in Jamil Zainasheff's book. I slowly raised the temp to 50 over the first 48 hours, so it's sitting at 50 right now.

Thanks for the recommendation to wait - I'll give it some more time to see what happens. I know there's yeast in there, just not as much as I had intended.

I have used WLP833 several times and always keep it close to 70 until it starts then slowly drop the temp. I have had it take 3 days at 70 but I didnt use a starter on that one.

For a lager a week isn't unusual to get going, unless you have a huge starter. I also pitch lagers at 70F and don't cool until the fermentation starts.

For a lager a week isn't unusual to get going, unless you have a huge starter. I also pitch lagers at 70F and don't cool until the fermentation starts.

Well, I HAD a huge starter, but I lost a lot of the yeast during decanting. I've got to fix my process or something.

But, GOOD NEWS, 72 hours after pitching I finally have bubbles in the airlock and I think I'm on my way.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback and advice....

Back