Half BBL Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 57668

Reaction score
So, I've made a few 15 gallon batches and have been pitching 3 wyeast packs into each batch. The cost is ridiculous and I know its I should be making a starter.

Could I make a starter for 15 gallons (<1.070 OG) with one wyeast bag? I figured if I made a 2L, let it ferment, then decant whats left and pitch another starter on top of that cake, and then possibly do that again I'd have a substantial amount of yeast growth.

Any thoughts?

You can step up starters to get a large enough one for your system. I know the Yeast book has info on stepping up. I've seen a link on here to a great tutorial on how to step up starters. I'll post the link if I find it.

mrmalty.com has a calculator for how much yeast you need to pitch (how many packs and how big of starter). You will either need a huge starter or to step it up multiple times for a 15 gallon batch.

Back