Partial mash supper hoppy ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cannabacae

Reaction score
Hey guys! Im fairly new to partial mash, but that hasn't stopped my experimental brewing techniques. Looking to get some input from the more experienced brewers on here. This is my last brew. I was going for a super dry super hoppy IPA around 6% abv with a really crisp dry mouthfeel. The recipe i compiled goes as follows...

*Malt bill*

3# 2 row
1# maris otter
1# crystal 10L
1/2# wheat (i like a slight wheat haze in an ipa)
3 lbs light DME

Mashed for 1 hour at 148 degrees F followed by a 168 degree batch sparge (all dme is added during the final 10 mins of the hop boil)

*Adjuncts*

1# honey (added in the end with the dme)

*hop schedule*

2 oz Centennial (60 mins)
2 oz Citra (30 mins)
2 oz Cascade (15 mins)
2 oz Cascade (5 mins)
2 oz Columbus (dryhopped in secondary)

Yeast used was a wyeast 1056 smack pack pitched at 70 degrees F.

My OG was around 1.055 and my SG going into the secondary was 1.005...strangely low but upon tasting the grog on the way to the fermenter it was quite pleasant in flavor.

Looks like im definitely getting my dry ipa with that low of a gravity. Any constructive criticism is welcomed.

I'd go a bit differently while keeping the dryness with the low mash temp, but you have the basics down. This should still be super hoppy, but tilted more toward flavor/aroma as opposed to harsh bitterness.

3# 2 row
1/2# crystal 10L
1/2# wheat
1/2# corn sugar
5 lbs light DME (half at boil start, half at flameout)

no MO
no Honey
1/2 lb. wheat is not the cause of your haze, but you can leave it in there

1.50 oz Columbus (60 mins)
0.75 oz Centennial (30 mins)
1.00 oz Cascade (10 mins)
1.00 oz Centennial (10 mins)
1.50 oz Centennial (aroma steep)
1.50 oz Cascade (aroma steep)
1.00 oz Columbus (dryhop)
1.50 oz Centennial (dryhop)
2.00 oz Cascade (dryhop)

no Citra

Wyeast 1056, or even better...WLP090 starter, pitched at 65 degrees F.

Cannabacae said:
Looks like im definitely getting my dry ipa with that low of a gravity. Any constructive criticism is welcomed.

Update us when this one is ready. I'm brewing an IPA now looking for the same result. I'll post the recipe later.

Thanks for the input bob. I really like the hop bursted aroma/flavor of hops over pure bitterness which is why i have so many late additions. I usually bitter with the columbus as per your suggestion but i wanted to preserve more of the columbus aroma as columbus are my favorite hop.

Steady settling out in the secondary. Fg is looking stable, still the same 1.005. Next thursday it gets bottled with a standard dextrose prime. I usually give it a week and a half in the bottle for hop forward ipas.

Back