GOOD on Netflix STREAMING?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried replacing the board with a new one. No go.

I got a TCL 55" 4K for $500. It's really nice for tie price. Integrated Roku, which I was leery of at first, but it's actually really nice as a TV interface compared to most of them. And a single remote for both tv and roku.

I may attempt to repair the old TV at some point. There are only 2-3 board on the whole thing.
You can check the voltage on the standby pin of the power supply board and if it reads 5 volts dc then you know its the main board that is bad.I had to have my main board repaired. What problems were you having? on/off clicking or no power?

You can check the voltage on the standby pin of the power supply board and if it reads 5 volts dc then you know its the main board that is bad.I had to have my main board repaired. What problems were you having? on/off clicking or no power?

I will check that.

It would blink the power light, then after many long seconds make a loud click (Relay clicking on) and then go back to blinking.

It has a white LED under the screen in the bezel, and that would light up, but the backlight wasn't coming on. At one point after I replaced the caps I got it to power up, but the video was pretty scrambled.

I recently read of someone who hung their TV and it wouldn't work, but on the table it would power up fine. Turned out to be a short to the chassis on the back of the PSU. I will double check that as a possible issue as well.

I liked that 8 yo 46" Samsung, but I gotta say, this 4K TCL is very nice for $500!

The Samsung might be able to make it's way into the garage for football and hockey during brew days. :D

Watched Luke Cage Ep1 this weekend.

Not bad, but ""kind of" slow. I'm definitely not a fan of the urban setting, but I'm hoping there is more action involved as the series progresses. I think it's a quality show for those who enjoy crime drama action. Definitely one of the best black superhero shows out there.

Still have to remember to download some actual 4K content. The "4k" I have seen streaming has been just ok, but I imagine the compression is out of this world in order to get it pumping through the webs in real time.

Watched an oldie the other night. Real Men starring Jim Belushi and John Ritter.

Man is that a great old flim! Ritter was outstanding as the milquetoast family man recruited to help Belushi's CIA character with a critical mission.

There's just something about it I find appealing.

I'm through season 1 of "Bloodline" Can't wait to see how this plays out...

Shameless American version

watch it for Emmy Rossum

I'm watching Luke Cage... where da white folk? :D

I mean there's Frank Whaley and that's it? oh, wait... there's the sadistic prison guard played by guy who plays Duchovny's captain in Aquarius

Walked in on my wife watching Orphan Black.

Man is she scraping the bottom of the barrel!

No love for Orphan Black? I have heard great things and have enjoyed the first couple episodes. Does it go off the rails after the first season or two? Any reviews I have heard are from when the show fist came out, maybe the second season as well so the show might have soured since then. There are 4 or 5 seasons now?

My wife and I kind of stumbled on Orphan Black on Amazon Prime looking for something new to watch. I really like it, we binge watched the first 3 seasons on Prime then watched season 4 on BBC's website. Tatiana Maslnay did a great job in my book, won an Emmy too. I'm not usually one for that type of show but I think it's really good. The 5th and final season starts next year.

Review of "Hail Ceasar!"

Watched this last night. Was fairly interesting and mildly amusing. Cinematography was pretty good and you know they tried to project a certain style into the film, but in the end it didn't quite meet my comedy expectations. There were some scenes, or plot tangents, that didn't actually seem to have any bearing on the main plot at all. Set in old Hollywood, there were instances of very modern mannerisms of speech.

I can't say anything negative about the acting. Honestly I thought they did a fine job with the script they had.

Speaking of the script, it seemed a stylish way of discussing a certain socio-political agenda of the time. Viewed through today's eyes I thought the major conflicts in the film were pretty mild. They could have done better spending more time on Clooney's character, IMO. Much of the time was wasted on slow scenes with no real point. If there hadn't been long periods of relatively unimportant "style" scenes, I think they could have made a much more intriguing film. Close to being meandering at times.

Overall I wont' say it was a bad film, but it didn't come close to being the comedy I thought it was going to be. I think that with a few tweak it could have been much funnier and still had the same "Hey, think about THIS for a while!" that the Coens are well known for.

Worth watching if only for the glorious portrayal of Old Hollywood.

They were simultaneously celebrating and lampooning the classic films of that era. I don't think that is pointless. I found the film to be a very fun one and fits right in with the rest of the Coen lineup. "Would that were so simple." That cracked me up. Plus the musical number with Channing Tatum is hilarious!

Westworld

A reboot of the classic sci-fi movie starring Yul Brenner, written by Michael Crighton. Love the production and writing on this one! Have only seen the first episode, but I'm intrigued about where this can go from here. For rough comparison I'd say it matches quality of Battlestar Galactica, and the basic premise is similar in that androids turn against humans.

Some graphic content, and so far plenty of nudity (Although it's mostly clinical due to the situation and lighting).

I'm loving Ed Harris as the "Man in Black" bad guy, Anthony Hopkins as (Behavioral Programmer??), Evan Rachel Wood as the Good Girl Farmer's Daughter. Actually, all of the actors were really good in this.

I'll admit I kind of got lost trying to figure out who is a host and who is a guest.

If you are not familiar with the plot, it goes basically like this:

An adult theme park is opened up where androids interact with paying customers to allow them to fulfill their most basic fantasies. In Westworld you can be a heroic Sheriff, fighting bad guys, or you can be a bad guy, stealing, raping, killing. The androids are programmed to not harm anything except other androids. And.... of course you can see where this goes from there!

I'm not usually into dramas, but this one carries enough sci-fi along with it to make it interesting, and enough action to make it exciting, and writing to keep it compelling.

Westworld

A reboot of the classic sci-fi movie starring Yul Brenner, written by Michael Crighton. Love the production and writing on this one! Have only seen the first episode, but I'm intrigued about where this can go from here. For rough comparison I'd say it matches quality of Battlestar Galactica, and the basic premise is similar in that androids turn against humans.

Some graphic content, and so far plenty of nudity (Although it's mostly clinical due to the situation and lighting).

I'm loving Ed Harris as the "Man in Black" bad guy, Anthony Hopkins as (Behavioral Programmer??), Evan Rachel Wood as the Good Girl Farmer's Daughter. Actually, all of the actors were really good in this.

I'll admit I kind of got lost trying to figure out who is a host and who is a guest.

If you are not familiar with the plot, it goes basically like this:

An adult theme park is opened up where androids interact with paying customers to allow them to fulfill their most basic fantasies. In Westworld you can be a heroic Sheriff, fighting bad guys, or you can be a bad guy, stealing, raping, killing. The androids are programmed to not harm anything except other androids. And.... of course you can see where this goes from there!

I'm not usually into dramas, but this one carries enough sci-fi along with it to make it interesting, and enough action to make it exciting, and writing to keep it compelling.

Really digging it so far. The second episode really starts to open up the story. I think this is going to continue to be really interesting.

Really digging it so far. The second episode really starts to open up the story. I think this is going to continue to be really interesting.

That is what I heard from a guy at work. Can't wait to check it out. I wonder if I should wait and let my wife watch the first episode before i get too far ahead...

Finished Luke Cage this week. I've liked all of the Netflix Marvel series so far. Luke Cage was a little over the top at times, some silly writing, etc, but still enjoyable. Pretty cool how they all weave together.

Watching the Get Down now.

Detectorists

If you like quiet comedies with a British twist, give this one a try. Two seasons on Netflix so far. I pretty much binge watched the whole thing over a few days, as did others I recommended it to.

Westworld's only on HBO Go correct?

That's where I watched it. Well, except for the first episode, which somehow magically showed up on my media server one day...

But yeah, after seeing the first episode, I loaded HBO Go on the Roku players and pulled it up. There are a couple of other shows on there I thought looked good.

Watched the first episode of The Larry Sanders show, from way back in my childhood. Wow there is some funny, classic stuff on that show!

We're a little over halfway through Luke Cage as well. I heard someone at the beach complaining about the miniscule white people quotient and I thought they were joking until I listened a little longer. Seems appropriate from what I've been told of the setting so I'm not sure why people would be butthurt over it. My one complaint is the gentle lob over the plate fishing for a Shaft reference and they totally whiffed and blew it when given the opportunity. Totally annoyed by that one point.

As for the "slow" aspect. It took me several attempts to get through Jessica Jones but once I started good I trudged all the way through. Daredevil I enjoyed a bit more but the first season was far more painful than the second which was fantastic. Honestly I expect no less out of Luke Cage when all is said and done.

Beyond that, we've backtracked for Dexter (the wife got more into it this time)... Threw in a sprinkle of "The Newsroom" as well. I don't agree with some of the nonsensical slant at times (it is from HBO to be fair so that's to be expected) but it's extremely well written from what we've seen of it and is a fairly enjoyable watch. We were looking for a shorter option (sub 30m) that creates no heartburn if we fell asleep during the episode. Thought maybe "Scream" (series) might stand in for that but it turned out to be fairly annoying and unusually long to boot.

Full disclosure : my snark about white people on Luke Cage was trolling a bit; show is set in Harlem... who the hell else would be in the cast of characters?

Plus, I was totally mocking those who cry about White Hollywood & ***** about Oscar So White

Rectify is another good one. Slow burner, Southern Gothic, worth a look!

Started watching this tonight off your recommendation. Pretty damn good. We watched 3 episodes tonight. Reminds of all my Southern Georgia work mates..... lol

Full disclosure : my snark about white people on Luke Cage was trolling a bit; show is set in Harlem... who the hell else would be in the cast of characters?

Plus, I was totally mocking those who cry about White Hollywood & ***** about Oscar So White

I didn't take offense but I heard the exact same sort of thing out and about which is why I brought it up. My take on it was pretty much identical though. Have no made it through all but the finale. I am kind of disappointed in the writing compared to the other shows though I'm told I just do not get "get it" by some of my colleagues and maybe that's true. I do think it has been decent to pretty good and if my enjoyment of the 2nd season of Daredevil as compared to the first is any indicator, there are very good things to come from it.

That said, I kind of felt like he was being setup to be a pivotal character in the JJ series which would somewhat match the comics. The cynical part of me can't help but wonder if it's not more of a placation series though. Still, it does feel good to get some enjoyable entertainment out of what I pay monthly for Netflix so I guess my complaint is more of a whisper than outrage.

PS and mainly just because it made me laugh to think about re'reading... In sane person land there is no chance Luke Cage is given an Oscar. But if he did, would he crumple it into a ball?

I noticed the slant in Luke Cage, but that doesn't honestly bother me. The Urban aspect is fairly foreign, so I have no real sense of perspective. But I thought the story moved slow. Really trudged at times. The production and acting is pretty good, though. I'm not sure at this point if it's going to get back into rotation. I've got a few other things to entertain me right now.

Ash vs Evil Dead is coming back soon.

EDIT: Correction. It's Back already! I watched a few minutes of a preview show and thought it was still yet to premier.

the BigHair is a Bruce Campbell fan & loves Evil Dead (we saw The Musical off-Broadway, even paid extra to be in The Splatter Zone™).

we watched 2 episodes of Ash vs Evil Dead and she doesn't like it

I don't understand why not

the BigHair is a Bruce Campbell fan & loves Evil Dead (we saw The Musical off-Broadway, even paid extra to be in The Splatter Zone™).

we watched 2 episodes of Ash vs Evil Dead and she doesn't like it

I don't understand why not

I can see that. It's even campier than the old movies and whatnot. (I haven't seen the play) It's almost as if they are making a parody of the original stuff.

I love it. Just saw Lee Majors in an interview talking about when he was filming as Ash's dad. Nobody warned him about the blood. He was wearing a "blood belt" and when they shot it off to emulate someone getting cut in half, he said it went right in his eyes and up his nose.

They budget the blood on that show by the gallons. It's all cheesy and campy brainless humour. Well, sometimes there's brains... ;)

I am making my way through Hell on Wheels. Pretty good story centering on the rise of a former Confederate soldier in the railroad business in the post-Civil War West. Similar to Deadwood but more explicit focus on race and gender issues in that era. Really good ensemble cast. Five seasons available on Netflix for bingeing!

Gilmore Girls: Year in the Life is streaming on Netflix now

and normally, I would have turned in my ManCard for that, but we watched it on my brand new 60" 4K Smart TV

imageService.jpg

by the way, anyone interested in a non-functioning Panasonic 52" projection HDTV? weighs a ton

Gilmore Girls: Year in the Life is streaming on Netflix now

and normally, I would have turned in my ManCard for that, but we watched it on my brand new 60" 4K Smart TV

View attachment 378434

by the way, anyone interested in a non-functioning Panasonic 52" projection HDTV? weighs a ton

Turn in 1/2 your Mancard!!!!!

I'm sure its been mentioned but Penny Dreadful is great. Right up there with Peaky Blinders.

I binged the first two seasons and now I'm rationing the third season so I can watch it on the treadmill in the morning.

I'm sure its been mentioned but Penny Dreadful is great. Right up there with Peaky Blinders.

I binged the first two seasons and now I'm rationing the third season so I can watch it on the treadmill in the morning.

Someone did recommend it. I checked my Netflix and unfortunately its not on there in Canada. :(

Back