Crack 1 open?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportscrazed2

Reaction score
I am carbonating a batch with muntons tabs. the directions say 1 week at room temperature should provide adeqauate carbonation. it will be exactly 1 week tommorow morning. should i wait a little longer before cracking one open?

We'd be disappointed if you didn't. Crack it open and report back! Sampling is an excellent way to learn how the beer changes as it conditions.

allright cool. no hurry really I am drinking a Bell's Special Double Creme Stout right now which is delicious. I would probably be let down anyway. Maybe I'll save it for a treat tommorow when I finish my next batch

Sorry about before. :(

I guess since you asked, you had never tried one this early. It will be a good learning experience. I do it even now, just to enjoy them even more later when they improve.:eek:

Just don't start a "My beer's not carbed yet" or "My beer taste funny thread," because then we'll tell you to wait at least two more weeks. And that there is nothing wrong. Since 3 weeks @ 70 degrees is the minimum it takes for an average gravity beer to carb and condition, despite what the munton's instructions say. Just like kit recipes that say to rack or bottle your beer after a week, often these instructions bear little resemblance to reality.

Enjoy cracking your first beer, but don't freak if it's not what you expect yet.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

And still needed a few months more to condition.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

Thanks Revvy,

I can always count on you to explain things a little better.

After reading your post I reread the OP.
…
1 week at room temperature should provide adeqauate carbonation.
…
The instructions did not say ANYTHING about the conditioning part.

Go figure. Like I said, lessons learned.

Back