What's in your Backlog Inventory?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZooBrew

Reaction score
When I started Homebrewing, I didn't start a new batch right away and ran out. I learned my lesson and now I keep a backlog. Examining that inventory, I can tell what needs to be brewed next.

When I'm in a 'party mood', I like to start out with a couple of Ales and finish off with a couple of Lagers, so I have to maintain a stock of both. Keep in mind the conditioning required so this complicates the planning that defines the 'musical chairs' going on in my 'beer closet'. Ah, such is the bane of the homebrewer that disdains buying beer at the local store.

Anywhoo, What's in your 'beer closet'? What's on deck, what's conditioning, what are you anxiously anticipating to taste?

I shall reveal mine in a subsequent reply.

I completely understand your problem.....I hate running out of HB, forcing me to go spend a lot of money on good commercial beer. Right now I'm drinking a keg of Biermunchers Centennial Blonde with a dunkel weizen keg conditioning and Jamil's "Christmas in a Bottle" winter spiced ale sitting in secondary. I do need to get a few lighter lower ABV beers going though. I'm planning on doing Edworts Haus Pale Ale either this weekend or next. Its cheap, easy, and delicious plus it doesnt require a lot of time to condition. :mug:

I always split batches to have two beers from each brewday at the least. When time permits, I brew, keg, and cellar but, I rarely brew enough to reach my keg limit.

Right now I have 4 in rotation (2 IPA's, a Bock, and a Session Lager) and 1 cellaring (Belgian Strong Dark) with a batch of Reds coming in the very near future.

I try to keep at least two beers in my fermenters at all times.

No kegs so I do a sickening amount of bottling :/ . I stagger weekends, every other weekend I bottle, brew, and pitch on the old cake.

I also have a 5 gal fermenter of apfelwein going at all times, thinking of expanding to 10g. This stuff goes faster than anything I brew....

I really like to try new styles but I try to keep one fermenter working on really drinkable stuff (pale ales, wheats etc). I love to experiment but it takes me a lot longer to go through 5g of a "big beer" than 5g of session stuff.

The lesson I learned fast is that you can never have too much light/sessionable beer.

I shall reveal mine in a subsequent reply.

If you're going to post whore like that....I want bonus when you hit 20 :d

Currently have Cream, mild, apfelweing and Irish Red on tap, 2 kegs of ESB (Different Recipes) and Apfelwein kegged. I have Cream, steam, Stout, Blond, Peach, Weiss, and Apfelwein bottled, and my "To Brew Box" holds the keys to a Centennial Blond and a West Coast Pale.

I JUST set a mead and a cider to ferment last night.....and will be bottling some Braggot, and 3 meads and a wine before Christmas.

Well this Friday we will be trying our Nut Brown Ale that has been fermenting for 3 weeks as well as another batch of our IPA. I have a few Kolsch and Blueberry Ales in my fridge but those 2 brews did not really come out the way we wanted. I would like to start brewing alot more so that I have good homebrew always around me and so that im not buying as much commerical beer.

We are also bottling our Pale Ale this weekend.

I think my sig is updated, but just in case it isn't here's what I have going atm:

Aging - 5g Biere de Garde, 5g Old Ale
On Tap - RIS, Brown Porter
Secondary - 10g Wheat APA, 5g Black APA, 5g Munich Red Wheat, 5g ESB
Brewing this Friday - 5g Baltic Porter, 5g Flanders Red
Bottled - Belgian Pale Ale, Southern English Brown Ale, Robust Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Belgian Golden Strong

I typically have at least 20 gallons in process somewhere at any given time.

currently i have a Cali Common, Stone IPA clone, and BM Cent. Blonde bottled and ready to drink, i have an un-nammed IPA i just bottled 4 days ago, and i have a Stout in secondary and a Mild in primary. the day after thanksgiving i'll brew an Irish Red and then back to some hoppy beers! i tend to like hoppy beers, but i've made it a point in the last few months to brew some malt focused beers. plan on getting the IPA's and APA going again around Christmas.

someday when i'm kegging i'd like to have a Blonde or Mild on one tap, APA on a 2nd, IPA on a 3rd and a 4th tap for things like Stouts, Common's, Wheats and others that i dont brew often.

I'm still new to Homebrewing and have done some experientation. Basically I'm doing extract kits with some steeping.

Currently I have a Kolsch (secondary) and a Munich Helles, a Cooper's European Lager and their regular lager along with a mead and hard cider in the 'cool corner'.

I have a backlog of Mr Beer Pale Ale and am hoping the lager stash lasts until the Cooper's is ready. A couple of weeks will retaste the MoreBeer Pale Ale that had a warm ferment. My 'exclusive reserve' consists of two, 2 liter bottles of my 'Knock your socks off' July Pale Ale that will be broken out for Thanksgiving Day; I haven't tasted that one for a month and am eagerly anticipating savoring that one and I'll be sacrifcing and sharing.

Now to labeling my brew. I keep a detailed log book and I use a simple labeling system on the fementer and the bottles and keg: A strip of masking tape with '110408-2 Lager', which means that it was a lager brewed on November 4, 2008 and the -2 means that it was the second batch I started that day. That way I can referr to my log book for specific information and add more comments.

How about you?

I only bottle, no kegging, so I usually have 2-3 types in the fridge at a time. 6 batches at different stages of carbing/bottle conditioning, 1 or 2 batches in primary, and 1 or 2 batches in secondary. My pipeline is `tres full :rockin:

Right now I have a blonde ale, fat tire clone, and dude's lake walk pale ale in the fridge. 2 blonde ales, a porter, a stout and 2 pale ales in bottles. Oatmeal stout in secondary, and a rye pale ale in primary.

I try to keep at least two beers in my fermenters at all times.

snip

I love to experiment but it takes me a lot longer to go through 5g of a "big beer" than 5g of session stuff.

The lesson I learned fast is that you can never have too much light/sessionable beer.

I'm right with you on this. I have 5 primaries right now but as a rule I expect to settle down to 3. 1 for ciders, 1 for Big beers, and 1 for everyday drinking.

I really love a good big beer for it's own sake, but if I'm in the mood to watch a game and tilt back a few I reach for my session beers.

I'm so embarrassed, A brewer with no brew other than beers that wont be ready for 6 months or more. I'm planning on 10G per week until all cornies are full. Then I might take a drinking break so I can brew again. :D

What brews do you have aging beer30? 6 months? daaayyyyum!

i need to update my sig....

On tap: Arrogant Bastard Clone, Brown Ale, and Amarillo Pale Ale
Bottles: Chocolate Porter
Kegged but not tapped: Orval clone
Fermenter: Red Ale
Planning: Centennial Blonde, IPA and some sort of stout

Kegged: apfelwein, oktoberfest ale, mild, blonde ale, pilsner, house pale ale, Belgian witbier, Belgian pale ale (DeKoninck clone), Christmas beer (imperial porter).

Primary: green apple riesling, apfelwein
Secondary: 9-9-9

Bottled: Triple-six oaked tripel, 9-9-9 partigyle ale, a few bottles of my first Wit

When I get a chance I'll be brewing up something for the in-laws for the holiday (blonde ale maybe) and a AHS Black Ale kit for a friend as a Christmas gift.

on tap; baseball lager, harvest pale, basic stout
kegged in waiting;edworts hpa
secondary; barleywine9/9/9
nothing in primary now
bottled;888ris, hefe, oberon clone, high gravity wit, assorted others with less than a sixer left of each
planned; centenial blonde, simcoe amarillo pale, an 8% lager

On tap. a recipe from my LHBS, Snowy Mountain APA . Brewed for T-day dinner so I had to stop drinking it (otherwise, there will be NONE at dinner! LOL)
Carbing up,original recipe English Pale Ale (British malt)
In Primary... 3 gallons Edwort's Apfelwein
Drinking, Smithwick's Irish Ale

I hope to brew this weekend, but budget mey not allow it as I'm maybe buying two Sankes Friday night.

Brewing this Friday - 5g Baltic Porter, 5g Flanders Red

ohiobrewtus- where'd you find the Roselare blend? I want to do a Flanders Red but missed stocking up on the blend this year. Guess I'll have to wait until next year when it's released again.

Lemme see....

On tap: Cherry Wheat (for SWMBO) and my Short and Stout (dry stout)

Kegged: Oatmeal Stout, Barking Beagle Pale Ale, DFH60 clone

Primary: Smoked Porter, 08 Cider

Bottled: JOAM that's been aging for 8 months, Rabbit Run Rye Ale from an earlier batch (6 left).

I've only been brewing for a year this month, so my inventory and logistics aren't set in stone yet. I've done a dozen and a half batches, and discovered that two things determine how much equipment and storage I need. I should also mention that I bottle only, and have no need or inclination to get into kegging.

First, I "take the summer off." I quit brewing sometime in June, and don't start up again until September. This is related to the fact that I tend to need vacations from anything I do, and gives me a welcome break. YMMV, and probably does, but that's me. This means I need to have enough inventory to last me through the summer, which means a big brewing push in the Spring.

Second, I tend to enjoy higher-gravity beers and some Belgians that require longer times to secondary / condition, so this tends to increase the number of carboys / bottles I need. I'm gradually building up my stocks to that I think I'll be OK.

I've been kinda lazy the last two weekends, haven't brewed.

Primary: Oatmeal Stout, Mild, SMaSH mo/van
Secondary: 999
On Tap: Apfelwein, Mild, SMaSH mo/van, OktoberFast, Cream Ale, Dry Stout

In planning: Irish Red, Scottish 60/, English IPA, APA, American Stout

Gotta stock up for hockey season :D

Primary: Pacific Gem Bitter, 999 Barleywine

Kegs: Sinful Stout (7%), Apple Spice Ale, OktoberFAST, Apfelwein, More Apfelwein

Drinking High Life and some NB 2 Below, as I don't like the OktoberFAST much, and the Apple Spice is a bit sweet. I'm in an IPA mood lately.

Planned (Soon): Dude's Lake Walk, Hobgoblin (gone through 20 gallons in the past year! gotta keep some in stock!), Smoked Porter (Or, The_Bird's ASS)

Planned (Winter Break Brewing X-Travaganza): 888 RIS, SMaSH my ass off, an IPA, roggenbier?

Unfortunately my sig is accurate, I have been drinking store bought beer for months. Though that is going to change soon. As you can see I have a cider and my Pale, and I will be bottling those this weekend. And my Hefe will be starting next week(hoping to be ready for Christmas). I travel so much for work I don't have much time to brew but that will hopefully be changing in the near future. I also just bought a used Sanyo mini fridge so I will soon be kegging.

I've slowed down the last few weeks. SWMBO has gotten back to her workout routine and has cut back on her beer consumption, which has left us with stock for once. You can see in my sig what's going on at the Barefoot Brewery, but I've been looking forward to getting into that porter, and getting started on Denny Conn's RIPA, and the Pils. It'll be a while till those hit my lips.

Back