Wheat mashing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chriswilkes33

Reaction score
Im going to be doing a couple weissbiers this weekend, one hefe and one dunkel. I have been reading that when people do German beers they use a decoction when they want to stay true to German tradition. AHS told me just do my typical single infusion batch sparge.

The hefe grain bill is:
4.5 lb red wheat
4.5 lb german pils
.5 lb carapils

The dunkel grain bill is:
4.5 lb red wheat
4.5 lb german pils
.5 lb caramunich
.25 lb caramel wheat
.25 lb special B
.125 lb chocolate malt

Ill be using 1 oz. of spalt bittering in each

What do you guys recommend for my mash schedule?

I'm not sure about red wheat, but when I do wheat beers, I use pale wheat malt or white wheat. Either way, I mash in at 122*f to 125*f and hold for 20 minutes. Then, I do a double decoction, 20 min at 147*f and 20 min at 158*f. Then I infuse for a mashout at 168*f.

I did about a dunkel about 5 weeks ago using regular wheat (never used red) and used a single infusion mash and sparge. While it still tastes young last I tasted it, it has the characteristics I am looking for and I think it will be a great beer when finished.

Hefe's I have made before also using single infusion and they taste great. Maybe its not authentic but it tastes authentic to me.

I would be inclined to use rice hulls in this. I actually use rice hulls in almost every brew... as long as I remember. But with wheat, I would definitely throw some in.

well the rice hulls are just toi prevent stuck sparge, Ill probably toss some in to be safe. Im still in the air. I wouldnt mind trying a decoction, Im sure I dont have to but it give me a little more body if I say dough in at 125, dococt 1/3 of the mash to 150 and let sit then boil and throw back in for a 20 min rest and then decoct 40% of the mash bring to 160 and sit then to boiling and back in for the last rest and mash out.

On the other hand, This is for some incoming German relatives and perhaps I should save my experimenting for when Im making a batch for just myself and go with what I know works...

Thanks for the input everyone.

Back